Dvd writing speed problem on GSA-H20N

vbimport

I got a prob!! Agaain!:frowning: I have a HL-DT-ST GSA-H20N), i suddenly noticed that Nero 7 is showing max writing speed 8X on a 16x media and 4x on a max 8x support dvd-r media…i am goin’ crazy, i tried removing ide dive and rebooting…still doesn’t work!

What ID does the Media have? Neros CD-DVD Speed can show that.

Nero is showing this: [i should also tell u that the two medias were of different company, one is (4x support) shown below and other is the company WRITEX, i wrote on these medias bfore, and they supported higher speeds alright]
Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Book Type : DVD-R
Manufacturer: : unknown
MID : SKC Co.,Ltd.
Write speeds: : 2 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4489 MB
: 4707319808 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information : recorded with HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20N
Disc Status : Closed

First up, don’t post about the same problem in different threads. It confuses people who are trying to help you with your problem because they don’t know which one to follow. It is also against forum rules.

You only listed the MID for the 8x stuff so I can mostly only comment on that.

I suspect the companies behind those discs probably does not make its own media but buys its media from various media manufacturers and then just prints its brand on it. It also switches manufacturers around from time to time. So the discs may look exactly the same but the media codes from one batch to another may be entirely different. If this is what happened, then it is possible that one batch of media was actually 8x stuff and the next batch 4x stuff.

Based on the MID you posted above, SKC Co.,Ltd. appears to be really only 4x rated media. I checked this with the firmware support of 4 older writers just to make sure. So it is nowonder that it only burns at 4x! Can you check the media codes of the previous discs of the same brand that really managed to burn at 8x?

Also, please post the MID of those WRITEX 16x discs. It’s not possible to know what is going on without that bit of information.

This is a MID of the same company’s previously written media (8X stuff):

Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R
Book Type : DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: : unknown
MID : AML 002 000 (00h)
Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity : n/a
Extended Information
Write strategies : 4 X

And here is the MID of the WRITEX DVD (16X support, at least I have written on 16X before on this company’s media):
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Book Type : DVD-R
Manufacturer: : Verbatim
MID : MCC 03RG20
Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4489 MB
: 4707319808 bytes
Extended Information
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information : recorded with HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20N

Sorry i posted in two threads, got a bit overexcited!

I dont know if i understand everything right. How many different media do you have? 3?

The last one, the WRITEX, is a 16x DVD-R media, same like a Verbatim 16x DVD-R.
The other one is a 8x DVD+R Media.
And the first one is a 4x DVD-R Media.

No no, the 4x and 8x stuff are both supposed to be 8x support!! It is labeled “Tech.com”.
And the 16X WRITEX media is shown to be 8X in NERO recently!! The last i saw, i could only write 8x on WRITEX, although i’ve written on WRITEX at 16x before. One thing i see is that NERO and evry other burning software is suddenly supporting the exact half speed of every media’s supposed supported speed.

This is extracted by MCSE from the GSA-H20N firmware 1.02
SKC Co.,Ltd. 4x
AML 002 8x,4x
MCC 03RG20 16x,12x,8x,4x

So the first media can only be written at 4x speed. The second at 8x, and the last at 16x

yes, but the MCC 03RG20 media is showing only 4x, 8x support, that is the problem!

Are you sure? You did not even insert a blank dvd. Maybe thats the problem.

Very odd.

This is what H22N 1.02 show with Cdspeed2000.

Yes, very odd, and all of a sudden too…can’t figure out head or tail of it. Can it be due to driver conflict? I will post the MID of a blank WRITEX as soon as I buy another one.

I am sure because the media’s the MID I posted burned at 8X, it was supposed to burn at 16X

I can remember, that sometimes my 4120B burned a MCC03 Verbatim just at 8x speed instead of 12x. Dont know why. Only happend 2 or 3 times, with ImgBurn. But i always saw 12x as maximum write speed.

Maybe because of Buffer Problems? I dont know.

would be any good if i format my HD to solve the prob?