Dvd writer

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GBW-H10N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I SEND MY PC FOR REPAIR.AFTER SOME TIME WHEN I GO TO WATCH MOVIIES THE DVD WRITER ONLY READ SOMEDVD’S AND FOR SOME DVD MOVIES IT READ AS BLANK CD.WHY IS THAT? WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? THE DVD WRITER IS JUST LESS THAT ONE AND HALF YEARS OLD.THE MOIVES I WATCHED PREVIOUSLY ARE BEEING READ BY THE DVD WRITER AS BLANK DVD’S.BUT THE SAME DVD DISCS SOMETIMES WORK WHEN I CONTINOUSLY PUT IT.WHY IS THAT?

[QUOTE=SUGATHBA;2191504][qanda]This thread is about the LG GBW-H10N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I SEND MY PC FOR REPAIR.AFTER SOME TIME WHEN I GO TO WATCH MOVIIES THE DVD WRITER ONLY READ SOMEDVD’S AND FOR SOME DVD MOVIES IT READ AS BLANK CD.WHY IS THAT? WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? THE DVD WRITER IS JUST LESS THAT ONE AND HALF YEARS OLD.THE MOIVES I WATCHED PREVIOUSLY ARE BEEING READ BY THE DVD WRITER AS BLANK DVD’S.BUT THE SAME DVD DISCS SOMETIMES WORK WHEN I CONTINOUSLY PUT IT.WHY IS THAT?[/QUOTE]

Just a quick note, please don’t post in only capital letters… in a text-only environment like this, it means you’re shouting…

These DVDs that you are saying your writer either reads as blanks or only work occaisonally… are they store-bought professionally made DVDs, or are they copies you are borrowing that were copied by someone else?

Please advise.

O’C

:slight_smile:

I first of all appolagise for posting in Capital letters.
They are not store-bought professionally made DVDs and they are copies i am borrowing that were copied by someone else.
If you are suggesting that the DVD’s are of low quality my question for you is that we didn’t have such a problem for the last one and half years.After i send the pc for repair due to the burning of the powersupply of the pc and had to face this problem.
I thank you for the help.

[QUOTE=SUGATHBA;2195279]I first of all appolagise for posting in Capital letters.
They are not store-bought professionally made DVDs and they are copies i am borrowing that were copied by someone else.
If you are suggesting that the DVD’s are of low quality my question for you is that we didn’t have such a problem for the last one and half years.After i send the pc for repair due to the burning of the powersupply of the pc and had to face this problem.
I thank you for the help.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if you ever rent any DVDs just to watch a film. If you do, have you ever had a problem playing one of them since your computer came out of the shop?

How about CDs? Any problems there?

The point I’m driving at is, on media that is :Z , the time frame you are looking at is about right for some of it to get to the point where it’s becoming hard to read.

If someone else’s DVD is able to read them, all that means is that theirs is more sensitive than yours…

Please advise…

O’C

No CD’s doesn’t have any problem at all.Only DVD’s has the problem.I have noticed that specially the DVD’s which has a sticker pasted on it (of the movie) is impossible to watch.But i didn’t have any problem such as this before i send the pc for repair.It is not cleartimes. about the timeframe your talking about?
But any DVD’s at times read as Blank CD.But DVD’s Which doesn’t have a sticker on it can be watched after inserting the DVD to the player number of times.

[QUOTE=SUGATHBA;2197756]No CD’s doesn’t have any problem at all.Only DVD’s has the problem.I have noticed that specially the DVD’s which has a sticker pasted on it (of the movie) is impossible to watch.But i didn’t have any problem such as this before i send the pc for repair.It is not cleartimes. about the timeframe your talking about?
But any DVD’s at times read as Blank CD.But DVD’s Which doesn’t have a sticker on it can be watched after inserting the DVD to the player number of times.[/QUOTE]

The DVDs with labels… yes, I can see those being a definite problem.
The discs without labels… they can be problematic too, but for different reasons.

Just because something worked yesterday, doesn’t mean it’ll work tomorrow… just ask any car owner.

The timeframe I was talking about was the time it takes the reflective coating to deteriorate on recordable DVDs. There’s no established time frame for this, no charts to check, just experience.

On a well made, brand name DVD, that time frame is estimated at 25+ years. They haven’t been around long enough to verify that, yet…

On the cheaply made ones, 6 mos. to 1 yr. is the usual estimate, and you’ve extended that slightly by saying that you’ve made some work by the try, try again method.

The point is, that less-expensively made DVDs (sounds better than ‘cheap’) have a limited lifetime, and they won’t playback forever… as you are finding out.

Does this answer your question?

O’C

Also you might want to go the the burner forum for your burner as you might find someone who had the same problems as you do if Mr. O’s reply didn’t help you, anyway good luck and welcome to CD Freaks

ok.O’C i feel you comfortably believe the problem should be with the DVD’s and not with the DVD player as it is only one and half years old.I 'am satisfied with your answer as i feel it’s good enought.I would also like to know the estimated life span of a LG and a SAMSUN DVD player.(As an average)Thank you for your valuable advice.

[QUOTE=SUGATHBA;2201030]ok.O’C i feel you comfortably believe the problem should be with the DVD’s and not with the DVD player as it is only one and half years old.I 'am satisfied with your answer as i feel it’s good enought.I would also like to know the estimated life span of a LG and a SAMSUN DVD player.(As an average)Thank you for your valuable advice.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how much you use the player. If you play 5 discs per day, player will probably start causing you problems after about 1 year…5 discs per week, and problems might start after about 1.5- 2 years… 1 disc per year, player will probably jam up with house dust before it starts to wear out…

Mechanical problems will probably hit before electronic ones do - most common mechanical problem is the little rubber-coated wheel that’s attached to the motor that actually turns the DVD in the tray… once it starts slipping and the DVD starts behaving with video & audio irregularities, it’s time for a new machine…can be fixed, but is probably cheaper just to buy a new machine.

FYI.

O’C