DVD Writer unable to read DVDs written at low speed

DVD Writer unable to read DVDs written at low speed

I am facing a peculiar problem.

My DVD Writer (Sony DRU-810A) is not reading DVDs written at lower speed (lees than 4X). Also writing new DVDs below 4X fails. When I put the DVDs, which were written at 2.4X by the same DVD Writer earlier, it shows DVD as blank DVDR.

I did lot of googling for the solution, but no luck.

At present I am writing the DVDs at 4X, which are being read by the DVD Writer luckily, as I have to backup lots of stuffs. But I wanna write the DVDs preferably at lower speed, say 2.4X only, so that error like “Data Redundancy Check Failed” does not arise. Although I have no problem writing DVDs at 4X or even higher, but my problem is that I cannot read a huge number of DVDs written at speed lower than 4X.

Thanks in anticipation for any help in this regard.

Most of times this issue is due to a low quality disc, but also the burning speed has a great importance.

Too bad there is so much variability in DVD media that it’s impossible to state a precise rule. The old saying “the slower is the better” is not more valid with DVD discs, because it is very frequent to get bad results burning a high speed certified media at low speeds.

As a thumb rule, I suggest to burn discs around the certified speed. So, 4x media should be burned @4x, 8x media @8x or 4x, and 16x media @12x or 8x.

Usually (not always but very often), burning a 16x certified disc @2.4x gives bad results.

Also the disc quality is important, of course, so if you use a low quality disc no burner can obtain good results.

Finally, also important, is the firmware: it is a good rule to update the firmware because often it gives big improvements in writing quality.

DVD discs written at low speed that are not readable on my DVD Writer are being read at other DVD ROM and Writers, so quality of DVD Disc is not an issue afaik. Strange thing is that they were written on the same DVD Writer (i.e. Sony DRU-810a) earlier and were being read also, which are not being recognized as written DVDs.

I also updated the firmware to the latest from official site but still no luck.

Some DVD ROMs/burners are more tolerant readers of bad burns. Historically, the Sony DRU-810A [and the drive it is based on, the BenQ DW1640 or BenQ DW1650] do okay for reading, but aren’t the best in the world.

What media are you using? It is helpful to post both brand and MID [How to get the MID]. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;1970628]Some DVD ROMs/burners are more tolerant readers of bad burns. Historically, the Sony DRU-810A [and the drive it is based on, the BenQ DW1640 or BenQ DW1650] do okay for reading, but aren’t the best in the world.

What media are you using? It is helpful to post both brand and MID [How to get the MID]. :)[/QUOTE]
As mentioned in my earlier post, problem is not with the DVD media as the same DVDs written at low speed are being read without any problem by other burners an DVD ROMs. Please let me know a fix for my DVD Writer (Sony DRU-810a)

Thanks in atcipation

PS: Just for info, as you’ve asked, I am using Moserbaer Pro DVDRs, which are supposed to be best in Indian market. And I never had a problem with them and neither I have now.

What other writers/ROMs are able to read the discs back? Also, again, what is the MID? And is the media rated 16x?

[QUOTE=Albert;1970930]What other writers/ROMs are able to read the discs back? Also, again, what is the MID? And is the media rated 16x?[/QUOTE]

I checked on other Sony as well as Samsung and Asus DVD Writers/Combo Drives.

Yes, the media is rated as 16X

Many times, 16x media doesn’t like to be written at such slow speeds, often causing worse errors than discs that have been written at full speed. [The media is optimized for higher speeds, and doesn’t respond that well at lower speeds]. :wink:

And, again, some drives do have better error correction. The other drives might be better for reading back discs that have been poorly written. It doesn’t really seem to be too much wrong with your drive.

So, just burn around 6x or 8x at the lowest [or stay with 4x]. It will be better for you in the long run. :iagree: If you don’t, you will eventually run into issues exactly like you are having now, regardless of drive. :flower:

If you still believe that your writer isn’t acting properly, please make sure you have the latest firmware. And, if you still believe that your writer is acting strangely after that, you may just opt for another writer.

[QUOTE=Albert;1970955]Many times, 16x media doesn’t like to be written at such slow speeds, often causing worse errors than discs that have been written at full speed. [The media is optimized for higher speeds, and doesn’t respond that well at lower speeds]. :wink:

And, again, some drives do have better error correction. The other drives might be better for reading back discs that have been poorly written. It doesn’t really seem to be too much wrong with your drive.

So, just burn around 6x or 8x at the lowest [or stay with 4x]. It will be better for you in the long run. :iagree: If you don’t, you will eventually run into issues exactly like you are having now, regardless of drive. :flower:

If you still believe that your writer isn’t acting properly, please make sure you have the latest firmware. And, if you still believe that your writer is acting strangely after that, you may just opt for another writer.[/QUOTE]

That I will certainly do for future writing of DVDs but how can I see hundreds of DVDs written at lower speed go waste as I cannot copy all of them again on new DVD discs at some other DVD Writer. :sad: I have latest firmware obtained from Sony’s official website.

Please suggest a work around if not a proper solution. Pleeeeease … :bow:

Work around? Well, if you can, get a different DVD drive. A recent [18x or 20x] LG, Samsung/Sony, LiteOn/Moser Baer, or Asus Burner would most likely be able to read back your media. [So you might have to hold off on buying media and just go for a new drive the next time you go to the store.] :wink:

[QUOTE=Albert;1970974]Work around? Well, if you can, get a different DVD drive. A recent [18x or 20x] LG, Samsung/Sony, LiteOn/Moser Baer, or Asus Burner would most likely be able to read back your media. [So you might have to hold off on buying media and just go for a new drive the next time you go to the store.] ;)[/QUOTE]
Hey bro! that was too simple to say. :slight_smile: but for me :sad: :sad:
Pleeeeease … there must be someway to get it read by my current dvd writer.

No, I’m afraid not. I don’t believe there is any tweak or modification or quick fix. You might just have to wait and save for a new drive or bum a drive from a friend. I’m sorry. I wish I knew a way to help you “fix” your Sony. :frowning: