DVD Writer to last more than a year

vbimport

I’ve bought most every maker’s DVD burner, Sammy, LG, Plextor, Sony, Pioneer, HP and some that I can’t remember.

They seem to last about a year, then boom.

I’m a very casual burner, maybe 10 or 12 a year.

Is this expected?

The failure is always different,
sometimes it won’t burn DVD +R,
sometimes won’t spin up,
sometimes causes op sys (WIN 7) hangs.
My last Plextor, bought last summer, just decided to drop off of the available drive list.

Do most users replace these like light bulbs?

Or is it planned obsolescence?

Yo Bob-

I have owned over 25 DVD and BluRay burners over the last 15 years and I can honestly say that I have never had a failure of any drive. You may want to look for other contributing factors (kids, dogs, cats, using the trays for coffee cup holders - leaving the trays open, computer in the sun, lack of circulating fans, etc)

Also burners do have a duty cycle. You can’t burn disc after disc as fast as one is done throw in another. I have 7 burners in my 'Puter and burn two in the top then drop to the bottom and burn two and then move up the line.One is a old Mad Dog nec 3?00 in a enclosure that I use to burn old 4X stuff with as it does a much better job than the newer burners.

I too have tons of burner-drives with few failures-to-burn-well. Maybe the question should be, “What does a drive-failure mean? Does it fail during Burn or Read processes? Or does it complete a Burn but the Disk doesn’t play properly?”

If it fails during a Burn session, does a change in Media affect a different behavior or is the failure occurring at a similar point in the process?

I wonder what factors are used to judge “drive failure”. I have some late-model Pioneer 118s that will mis-grab a disk and literally explode it like a misbalanced crystalline glass, inside the drive. We’ve had 3 of those drives fail like that - and we know we have to be incredibly careful when loading in disks with those remaining drives.

[QUOTE=lionelbob;2688361]I’ve bought most every maker’s DVD burner, Sammy, LG, Plextor, Sony, Pioneer, HP and some that I can’t remember.

They seem to last about a year, then boom.

Is this expected?

The failure is always different,
sometimes it won’t burn DVD +R,
sometimes won’t spin up,
sometimes causes op sys (WIN 7) hangs.
My last Plextor, bought last summer, just decided to drop off of the available drive list.

Do most users replace these like light bulbs?

Or is it planned obsolescence?[/QUOTE]

Well I had plenty of HP, Memorex, LiteOn and they after long usage like 5 years did they finally stop function properly. And some where cause they were IDE and switching to Sata I upgraded my drives as well. Some of my newer one read problem were attributed to dust on the lens and a cleaning fixed most of it. Also we have no spec on your environment where the equipment is setup how your using your it as well. As others mentioned without more knowledge of your environment and setup there are other factors that needs to be considered to know exactly what is going on there. The reason my drives finally go is usage and the more you use it the more it is going to reach it end of life span usage faster then just everyday usage.

That tells us not a whole lot of useful information to begin with.

You shall not use a Hammer with such a device!

I have plenty burners and drives and only 1 failed because of misflashing!!