DVD writer that supports DriveSpeed or CD Bremse control

I’m in need of a new optical drive that’s read speed can be controlled for silent operation during DVD and CD playback. My current Lite-On allows control down to 2x during DVD playback, and that is quite acceptable, so I guess 2x speeds is what I would be shooting for.

I’ve been told the Samsung SH-S223B allows control, but I’ve also been told it is generally quite loud, and I don’t know what it’s minimum speeds are. Any SATA drive recommendations that meet my criteria would be greatly appreciated, as I’ve posted similar threads at a couple of tech forums I regular and have gotten nearly no response.

You’ve had no answers in the Newbie forum Cyrosis, so I’m moving your thread to the DVD Drives forum in hopes of getting some sort of response.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2485907]You’ve had no answers in the Newbie forum Cyrosis, so I’m moving your thread to the DVD Drives forum in hopes of getting some sort of response.[/QUOTE]Thank you, probably more fitting indeed.

I got a newsletter from NewEgg just the other day with some decent deals for optical drives, so maybe a more specific question would help?

So does anyone have experience with the Lite-On iHAS-324, or LG GH24NS50 with DriveSpeed?

Thanks.

Just curious why would you want to go down to just 2X ? Most burners now days doesn’t make anymore noise at 16X than it does at 2X’s. Sorry can’t help you on those name brands as I only have used Pioneers but maybe someone will pop in that has used those brands

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2486329]Just curious why would you want to go down to just 2X ? Most burners now days doesn’t make anymore noise at 16X than it does at 2X’s. Sorry can’t help you on those name brands as I only have used Pioneers but maybe someone will pop in that has used those brands[/QUOTE]I just have a very quiet computer, so 16X is still quite loud to me, my buddies BD-Rom is the only drive I’ve heard that I would consider acceptable without controlling the read speed, but I don’t want to spend that much.

As for brands, it doesn’t have to be those specifically, I just mentioned them since they were on sale, and had yet to get any response by just leaving the question open ended.