DVD Writer Suggestion

Is it possible to write double sided, dual layer DVD¡ÓR / DVD¡ÓRW?
how long will it take?
which drive is good at that? thanks.

No. Dual layer writers are only just announced, cannot be bought yet.

Double sided should be possible, but I haven’t seen any media. Heard of some people sticking two DVD’s together to create a dual sided single layer DVD, but You’l have to be careful what kind of glue you use

they also sell double sided disc now but you have to switch sides when it gets to the end and what ive seen are very expensive!

Dual layer has been annouced that it will come out next year… possibly first Quarter! so we might see it soon!

no more reencoding or transcoding of dvd9! YEA!
:bigsmile:

Originally posted by loermansa
[B]No. Dual layer writers are only just announced, cannot be bought yet.

Double sided should be possible, but I haven’t seen any media. Heard of some people sticking two DVD’s together to create a dual sided single layer DVD, but You’l have to be careful what kind of glue you use [/B]

Sticking discs together? LOL, now THAT is classic!

CoreyOli

dual layer is way cool!

if single sided single layer can store 4.7GB of data, the dual layer double sided disc can probably hold 4.7 * 4 = 18.8GB!

just wondering, 1x dvd burning = ??x cdr burning?

1x DVD is about 1,5MB/s, 1x CD is 150K/s, so it’s about 10 speed CD.

wow! that’s fast!

so 8x dvd burning is about 80x cd burning?!

I thought they can’t break the 52x/56x limit…

im not sure what speed 4x and 8x dvd write equals to cd write…

but dual layer should only be
4.7gb *2 = 9.4gb

but that is 1000 bytes so when you burn data or video to it you only get 4.39GB
because a real byte = 1024

so it might be 4.39 * 2 = 8.78GB total data or video… also if video it depends on where the layer change is… do not want it in the middle of action or anything… so you lose a little bit there too! because the lens has to move and causes a skip if its in the middle of a scene!

but hollywood is normaly good about putting it in a place that is not even noticeable!

so 8x dvd burning is about 80x cd burning?!

Yes, that would be a good assumption. Difference between CD and DVD is the higher information density on a DVD. When a DVD turns around a single time, about 7 times more data was read by the laser. So a DVD spinning at equal speed as a CD has a 7 times higher data throughput than a CD drive. The problem with 50+ speed CD players is the fact that the discs spin so fast, they can literaly blow apart.

A DVD doesn’t have to spin as fast as a CD to reach 50x (CD) speed.

1X DVD=1380KB/sec (or 1385 as reported by newer versions of Nero). That’s 9.2x CD, so 2X DVD=18.4X CD, 4X DVD=36.8x CD, 8X DVD=73.6X CD. Can’t wait for the 8X+ DVD +/- RW discs…

Thanks Dentman for being thorough.

I believe Taiyo Yuden produced 4x disks can be burnt at 8 speed. AFAIK some Verbatim Datalife+ 4 speed discs are TY’s.

is it possible to upgrade the current dvd writer firmware to have dual layer burning support?