DVD Writer 'spiked'. Rejects (ejects) all blank media

I installed what I think is a suspect copy of Nero7 bought in good faith and since then my (out of warranty) Plextor PX-708A DVD Writer, upgraded with the latest firmware (version 1.11) is now rejecting (and ejecting) any blank media whichever burning programme I use. Also it will not recognise any pre-recorded (retail version) DVDs. The drive worked OK prior to this. Uninstalling the software and reinstalling an earlier version did not help.
The drive is set as a Slave which is connected to a Hard Drive (Master), which works OK, via an IDE cable which presumably discounts the cable being faulty?

I tried deleting it from Device Manager (Windows XP Pro) and rebooted. The drive was found but not with any ‘new hardware found’ message. I am willing to wipe my Primary drive and start afresh but I am not totally convinced this will help the Plextor issue.
A call has been logged with Plextor technical support but if anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I am reasonably IT literate having built and networked 3 PCs at home but be gentle with me as this is my first post here.

When did it stop working! After any kind of FW flash or change to your box?

Try Nero 6…18!
Remove INCD in Nero and Sonic DLA!

The drive worked until I installed Nero 7.
As I said earlier I tried to reinstall an earlier version but no change.
The firmware was already at it’s latest version before I bought it (2nd user)

Then wipe Nero 7 from your installation and try with 6.6.0.18 or another good burning app.

If you read the posting fully I said…Uninstalling the software and reinstalling an earlier version did not help…I also said…is now rejecting (and ejecting) any blank media whichever burning programme I use…

You have a software conflict problem! Clean your system as Chef said! remove all burning apps except nero 6 and Use Spybot to get rid of broken links!

I will give that a go.
Not sure if it matters but the C: drive (Primary Master) is attached via the IDE cable to the Plextor which is set as Primary Slave but as I said earlier it worked previously and I have had other drives set up this way with no problems?

Plex does not like beimg a slave! LOL
Some MOBOs will not do UMDA4 as slave!
716 needs to be on a different cable than your primary HD!