DVD writer recognises writable DVD's as cd's!

Hi - I apologise if I missed any thread already offering a solution to my problem. My DVD writer ( LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S ) recognises all blank DVD’s as blank CD’s. I tried searching for info and help in every possible place except here. Please can someone help me as I am clueless as to what to do to get it to recognise DVD’s as DVD’s?

Hi and Welcome!

this is a flaw in Windows Explorer, nothing to be worried about. To write data on the disc, you need CD/DVD burning software like Nero, Roxio, etc.

Michael

Hi Michael - Thank you for your quick reply!

I prefer using DVDFab Platinum to do my burning, however it will not allow me to backup my DVD as it does not recognize it as n DVD.

Do you have any ideas for me please?

You might try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 but I am not sure, if that helps, so please report back.

Michael

Tried uninstalling all the suggested programs and cleaning the registry, but still no luck.

Hmm. No idea at the moment :frowning:

When did this problem first start? Have you tried that same unit if you can in another computer to see if the dvd side works? How old is your unit and what is its firmware? Is that unable to recognize the dvd media in explore or another program?

Can you at least rip the DVD to the hard drive?