DVD writer problems

Hi there this is my first post here to please be patient. I recently reinstalled my operating system (XP) to clear out the rubbish on it. Now before I did this I copied my essential documents onto a 1 DVD-R and 1 CD-R, now stupidly I forgot to click on the ‘make compatible’ button to make them accessible to all drives before I formatted my drive.

Also now I have reinstalled the DVD drive is no longer giving me any options to format new dvd-r’s, make new one compatible or anything else. It does however play audio cd’s and DVD movies. So basically when I put either the dvd I saved my essential documents onto or a new blank dvd that I want to format and then use it will not let me do this.

Can you give me any help in how I can access the data on the DVD I forgot to make compatible and how I can get it back to a state of being able to burn dvd’s again? (I have already updated the driver to the latest version I can find)

The model of the drive is - LG GSA 4120B Super multi DVD Drive (I have it attached to my laptop by an external case)

Thanks in advance :o

welcome to the forum.:slight_smile:

what program(s) do you have and which did you use to make the data back-ups? you do not format dvd-r or cd-r disc.

thanks troy

The program i got with the drive was nero although i didn’t do it though that program. On the ‘my computer screen’ i right clicked on the drive and along with the usual options of open, explore etc. It had a button for format and then one for make compatible after you had burned it, i think it was to make it DLA compatible?

Probably then you used the intrinsic Windows packet-writing facility, which is unfortunately bad news since it doesn’t write information according to standard CD or DVD protocols.

I suggest you try ISObuster which might retrieve your documents. It’s payware but should let you know whether it is likely to be successful.

You could also try a forum search for “packet writing”, which might yield a solution.

ISO Puzzle’s free I believe, that might work too :flower:

Ok i have tried with ISO puzzle but when i try to load it for the first time with comes up with- ‘ERROR FS 002 WNASPI32.DLL not found’ and then says it has an error.

So no joy as of yet

Have you reinstalled nero? If not, do so, it will install the WNASPI32.DLL you are missing and probably let you now see your files on the disks you made.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?wnaspi32

Ok ive started up nero express 6, clicked on disk info and it has brought up how much space is used and remaining on the the disk, so that is a start. It also says it is UDF (mode 1), im not sure if that could help in getting access to whats on the dvd?

[QUOTE=england1981;1919763]Ok ive started up nero express 6, clicked on disk info and it has brought up how much space is used and remaining on the the disk, so that is a start. It also says it is UDF (mode 1), im not sure if that could help in getting access to whats on the dvd?[/QUOTE]

What have you tried using to read the disk since nero install? ISO puzzle, right click drive-explore, etc.