Dvd writer problem

My friend is trying to archive files onto dvd (he’s using xp and wants to use Windows Explorer). When he puts a blank dvd into the drive, the drive changes from dvd-rw to cd-rw. The drive is working fine - he can read/write cd’s and read dvd’s, but can’t burn dvd’s except videos using Media Centre.
I can “send to” using Windows Explorer on my unit.
This is not a hardware or software problem, so could it be drivers or firmware? It’s been like this since the get-go so nothing has “changed” recently.

XP has no native DVD burning functions. You need a third party app like Nero or Imgburn.

The thing with DVD-RW to CD-RW is a normal quirk of xp.

I thought I’d get some expert help here. That post is nonsense, and even I know that.

You cant use windows explorer.

Well, I can use Explorer on mine.
However, my prob is not how to do it, but that the dvd-rw drive changes to cd-rw when I insert a dvd, no matter what I have open. That tells me the drive is not recognizing dvd’s at all, and my ?? was whether this could be firmware or driver.

imgburn is probably the best for this. windows explorer will not work for burning DVDs it never has.

[QUOTE=RCM;2452229]imgburn is probably the best for this. windows explorer will not work for burning DVDs it never has.[/QUOTE]

That is what I have been trying to tell him. That is why a dvd shows up as aa CD.