DVD writer on IDE Controller card? (pci)

Hi,

I just got a IDE Controller card, pci slot ata-133 or something.
I have today this setup.

Master/Slave: Os/Program HD
Master/Slave: Nec2510/Nec3500

OK, so now I get this ide controller card to also attach my benq1620.

Here is the big question,
a) Can I attach a dvd writer to the ide controller card (pci)
b) Is it recommended to NOT use the ide controller card, and use the IDE slots on motherboard insted?
c) How important is it that it is master? Ive never had any probs with my nec3500 and that one is slave.
Thanks

I believe that your Motherboard has 2 ide ports

Board: Master/Slave: Os/Program HD
Board: Master/Slave: Nec2510/Nec3500
Card: Master: benq1620

This config should work ;), but if you have a free slot on your motherboard use it, it is (always) better than a pci card.

Well, i havent installed the card yet, so Im considering swapping the ide that i use for HD and use it on card insted. But if it will work properly on the card, I dunno if im gonna bother do it.

Is it just me, or do the OS disc HAVE to be master? looks like my bios dont detect it if I set both burners as masters.

Is it just me, or do the OS disc HAVE to be master? looks like my bios dont detect it if I set both burners as masters.

This doesn’t matter if you set both burners as master, the system will boot :wink:

Some IDE cards are ok at driving writers, others are not.

Ensure that you stay within configuration rules - two Masters or two slaves on one cable will screw things up, and may freeze it completely.

If you have the System HD on a controller card, you may have to set the BIOS to boot SCSI first, as most alternative controllers are seen as a SCSI subsystem, even if thet are not actually SCSI - more recent BIOSes may resolve it differently.

I have a dvd writer and a dvd-rom on a pci ide card (i know i should not but i have no more room on mobo ide) and my opinion is for optical drives they dont read so well on ide card (but i can live with it as i have other dvd writer and liteon cd-rw on mobo ide anyway…