DVD Writer Not Being Recognised by Windows XP

vbimport

OK, so here’s what happened.

I was clumsy and dropped a tower of blank DVDs behind my desk. :clap: It caught on some of my power cables and ripped the power bars from the outlet, shutting everything down. Yes, I was in the middle of burning a DVD when this happened.

I plugged everything back in and rebooted.

First thing, before I even see the Windows welcome screen, it says that “the hardware on your computer has changed significantly since you last registered your Windows product - you have three days to re-register your copy of Windows XP”. OK, WTF? I say “do it later” and Windows boots.

It is now not recognising my DVD Optical Drive. I have an:

LG GSA-H62N

The drive itself doesn’t seem to be getting any power at all. I had to put a pin in it to get the drawer open to remove my half burnt DVD. I made sure the connections were OK internally (easy since it’s SATA).

I go to the device manager and it’s telling me that there’s a CD Drive installed in it’s place. It’s being referred to as a:

TC3310A FAY110R SCSI CdRom Device (???) I have never had this kind of CdRom in my PC and a search online reveals nothing about this.

If I try to update drivers - it’s only searching for drivers for the CdRom Device. I can’t get it to recognise my LG drive. I wanted to do a rollback but those were somehow deleted when the power was cut so suddenly. I have NO IDEA what the heck is going on. :a

I have tried uninstalling the CdRom device and rebooting. When I ask it to detect new hardware it finds the same d*mn CdRom Device, not my LG. I cannot seem to find drivers for it anywhere including the LG site (it’s my understanding that the drivers would be on the Windows OS itself anyways) I have tried looking for the correct drivers in Windows folders but I cannot find anything.

I downloaded a “Driver Doctor” and it was able to find out that the LG Drivers are still on my system…but it doesn’t tell me where they’d be and I still cannot find them and I have no idea how to get them to replace the CdRom Drivers that are now there.

I am beating my head on the desk right about now. PLEASE, can anyone offer a suggestion or a solution to get my DVD Drive working again? :bow:

I re-registered my Windows so that’s taken care of. Everything else seems totally normal. No other strangeness.

Welcome to the forum. :flower:

1. Buy an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to avoid this kind of thing in the future.

2. Download and run this: http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Hi,[QUOTE=DigitalBear;2475348]OK, so here’s what happened.

I (…) ripped the power bars from the outlet, shutting everything down. Yes, I was in the middle of burning a DVD when this happened.
(…)
It is now not recognising my DVD Optical Drive. I have an:

LG GSA-H62N

The drive itself doesn’t seem to be getting any power at all. I had to put a pin in it to get the drawer open to remove my half burnt DVD. I made sure the connections were OK internally (easy since it’s SATA).[/quote]What happens if you enter the Bios setup of your computer and then try to open the tray?

I go to the device manager and it’s telling me that there’s a CD Drive installed in it’s place. It’s being referred to as a:

TC3310A FAY110R SCSI CdRom Device (???) I have never had this kind of CdRom in my PC and a search online reveals nothing about this.
And you don’t have some virtual drive software installed, like Deamon Tools, Alcohol, Virtual CD etc.?

I am beating my head on the desk right about now. PLEASE, can anyone offer a suggestion or a solution to get my DVD Drive working again?
Either you have fried your drive, your Sata controller or your PSU. You may try another cable from the PSU to feed the drive. Also if possible - try the drive in another computer.

Michael

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I swapped the cable and the drive still isn’t getting any power. I guess I should hope that the drive is fried and not my motherboard. I still have power to my HDD and that’s SATA too - so it’s encouraging. I may have to take the drive to a shop or to a friends to see if it’s wasted or not.

Thanks again.