DVD writer doesn't want to burn

Everytime I try to burn an iso image the writer and the burner software freezes in the Write LeadIn step and continues this way unless I close the program. Sometimes even that doesn’t work. The software keeps counting for hours and hours. I flashed the firmware to see if that will solve the problem but it didn’t. Can somebody help me please???

What software?
What Burner ?
What operating system?
Need lots more info to help

Thanks bean55 for your interest and your fast reply. The software is ImgBurn but Nero 7 Essentials also has problems. The burner is a Memorex MRX-530L previously crossflashed as a Lite-On 20A1H but now crossflashed as a Memorex again to see if that helps but it didn’t. The OS is Windows XP Pro 64 bits. I don’t think is the OS because I tried to burn an iso using a relatively fresh Windows XP Pro 32 bits instalation with the same results. Could it be posible that the burner is damaged? I don’t think so because is only about 4 months old. Please let me know if you need more information.

What brand of discs are you using?

Also, see the link in my signature to make sure UDMA Mode is enabled for your drives. :wink:

Use Arachne advice and check the UDMA settings

Make sure imgburn and nero both are not trying to access the drive at the same time

Did it work before and this is a new problem that just started ?
How much ram do you have?

I’ve been using Memorex for a few years now since those are the cheapest I found but yet are reliable. The media ID is Ritek wich I read is good so I don’t think is the media either. I tried to burn into DVD+R, DVD+R DL and CD-R with the same results. The burner is capable to read CD-ROM and DVD-ROM so I don’t have any idea about what’s causing the problem. I don’t want to give up with this burner so any help will be really appreciated.

DMA settings are enabled. I have 4 GB of RAM and I’m able to see all of it in System Properties because I’m using a 64 Bit OS. I don’t think that both programs are trying to access the drive at the same time because one of them is closed while using the other. The burner was working right but suddenly stopped working.

Ritek aren’t the best. In fact, Memorex use several different manufacturers for their discs, and they aren’t always best quality.

If the Current Transfer Modes in Device Manager for all your drives is UDMA Mode x (where x is a number), and none of them are in PIO Mode, then it’s highly likely the discs are to blame.

I’d try some Verbatim or Sony discs (or just Verbatim for DL discs). They may be a little more expensive…but you get what you pay for :wink:

The burner was working right but suddenly stopped working.

Loaded any new software ? Make any other changes since it worked last?
Can you go back with restore and will it work then?

Ritek aren’t the best. In fact, Memorex use several different manufacturers for their discs, and they aren’t always best quality.

Is this a new batch of disc you just opened?

Sorry for short replys but I am at work and just looking in when I can.

I’ve been using Memorex for some time and never had problems. In fact the discs are from the same package wich gave no problems before. The CD-R are Sony brand so I think that at least I should be able to burn to CD-R if the problem was the DVD+R media. Any more ideas?

Please post the Current Transfer Modes in Device Manager for your drives - I’d like to double-check this as it’s affecting CDR as well (yes, Sony CDRs are good IMO).

I don’t think is a new installed software or hardware since I have a relatively fresh version of Windows XP Pro 32 bits installed in another hard disk and the burner don’t want to burn using that instalation either. I think it should be something else.

I don’t think that both programs are trying to access the drive at the same time because one of them is closed while using the other

Doesn’t always mean that the other program released the drive, Nero does that sometimes.

Can you try and re-install imgburn? Sometimes that will take control back from Nero and start working.

Arachne: can you tell me how can I check the current transfer modes for my drives? I will gladly post them as soon as I learn how to check them.

Sure :slight_smile: - see the link in my signature (“How to check/enable DMA”) - that should show you where to find the Current Transfer Modes. :wink:

bean55: I already uninstalled and reinstalled ImgBurn with the same results.

Arachne: Transfer modes are as follows acording to Device manager:

Primary IDE Channel Properties:
Device 0 Ultra DMA Mode 6
Device 1 Ultra DMA Mode 2

Primary IDE Channel Properties:
Device 0 Ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1 Ultra DMA Mode 4

Let me know if you need more information.

I tried uninstaling the IDE Channels and rebooting the machine with the same results.

OK, that all checks out :slight_smile:

Any chance at all that you can try it on another PC?

Edit: Hmmm, looking at those DMA modes - do you happen to have one HDD and one burner/ROM drive on each channel? And if so, the HDD you’re burning from and your burner aren’t on the same channel (cable) are they?

Arachnae: I have one Sata HD and one Sata DVD-ROM on one channel. Two free SATA connectors. One IDE HD and the IDE DVD burner on the same IDE channel. The HD I’m trying to burn from is on the same channel as the DVD burner. The HD I’m trying to burn from is configured as master and the DVD burner I’m trying to burn to is configured as slave. I think that the configuration might be the problem. If nobody else has anymore ideas maybe I should test the burner on an old socket 478 motherboard I have. The problem is that the 478 socket processor I have has a missing pin making the computer highly unstable but I think it will be stable enough to do some tests. What do you think, shoul I try more things on this computer or should I try the burner on the other motherboard?

[QUOTE=The-Hermit_1971;2131832]…The HD I’m trying to burn from is on the same channel as the DVD burner. The HD I’m trying to burn from is configured as master and the DVD burner I’m trying to burn to is configured as slave. I think that the configuration might be the problem…[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you - it’s at least worth trying to burn from the SATA HDD to your IDE burner just to see if that is the problem (any chance you can temporarily move the file you want to burn, onto the SATA HDD?).

And if so, the HDD you’re burning from and your burner aren’t on the same channel (cable) are they?

Did you change the cables around ?
It’s always best to burn on a seperate ide cable from where your HDD is connected.
On all my IDE conectors I have the burner as the primary on the secondary IDE cable, never on the same cable as the HDD.