DVD writer = designed to die/degrade after 1.5 year or so?

In my computing life, I have used the following burners:
A Liteon CD burner

A Pioneer 107D DVD burner
A LG one, GSA-H22L
A Liteon LH-20A1S

it is my observation that most of them either degraded or died after about 1.5 year to 2 years … degrading as in the PI/PO tests of discs made by the burner indicated that it wasn’t burned as well as before, or just churning out bad burns no matter what brand of disc was used.

So here I am, needing to backup all the stuffs in my HDD, and discovered I may have to buy another burner because this one has been giving out worse PI/PO readings
See the cdfreaks thread here
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/test-results-gone-haywire-drive-dying-soon-279041/

Do i have to buy a freakin duplicator to get one that lasts as long as my PC (5 years plus).
Here in Australia selection is rather limited (see pic)
Which one would you use or recommend?

I read on a thread recently, Dragemester recommended the newer LiteOns. Yay or Nay

@ sorensen721,

What leads you to believe that you need to “buy another burner”?

Perchance have you read Forum Member DrageMester (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/test-results-gone-haywire-drive-dying-soon-279041/#post2304689) #2 posting comments that you reference in your above #1 posting? I believe Forum Member DrageMester does an excellent job in explaining what is occurring with your Verbatim DVD+R DL MKM001 Media scans.

Regards,
bjkg

Hi
Yes of course I’ve read Drage’s post, and am taking his advice into account. I’m here canvassing others as to how long their drives last before they notice its not performing at the same quality. In my case its usually about 1.5 years before the burn quality suffers and I only use them for reading discs.

I’m a bit stuck because out of all drives I had, only the Liteon was the only good scanner and its been giving me weird results, have tried almost all scanning programs on offer, afaik. … and all gave me unusual result.

DiscSpeed 47716 and 5
DvdInfoPro
KProbe

I mostly burn dual layer discs and at $3 a disc I’m dead paranoid about quality. Been reading more stuffs tonight, think I might go with the Sony Optiarc 7200SGB, would have bought the more recommended stuffs but its hard to find in Oz
http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=20&bid=2&sid=29708

@ sorensen721,

I have older Pioneer DVR-115, Plextor PX-760, and BenQ DW-1640 Optical Drives that are ‘well used’ and have not noticed any appreciable degradation of the quality of Verbatim DL MKM0001 Media recorded in these Optical Drives.

However I have noted a variance in the ‘quality’ of packages of Verbatim DL Mitsubishi Kagaku Media MKM001 Media. I will only purchase Verbatim DL Mitsubishi Kagaku Media MKM001 manufactured in Singapore and even then I notice a variance between batches of Verbatim DL Mitsubishi Kagaku Media MKM001 Media.

Perhaps what you are noting is the variances in different batches of Verbatim DL Mitsubishi Kagaku Media MKM001 Media and not a degradation of the recording quality of your Optical Drives.

Regards,
bjkg

Do you smoke, how often do you clean out your machine.
I’m not saying that your place is unclean but about every six months or so when I clean mine it is chocker with dust and debris. Now I hardly ever open the CD/DVD drives to inspect and clean the laser or rails until there is a problem. Have you taken out the drive and checked them. This may be a cause of the symptoms you see. The time scale seems about right.
Just a thought!

A Liteon CD burner

A Pioneer 107D DVD burner
A LG one, GSA-H22L
A Liteon LH-20A1S

it is my observation that most of them either degraded or died after about 1.5 year to 2 years …
Pure B/S. :a

My oldest MediaTEK CD burner is 14ys old (not Lite-On labeled though…), still working after 1k+ rips/burns.
My Litey My Litey LDW-401-2003 (nowdays in my GF compu) burned as a 401@411@811 almost 500 CD/DVD discs; still alive.
My SOWH-812-2004 Litey is also healthy (my son uses this drive for protected CD/DVD ripping) burned 700+ DVDs sofar.
LH-20Axx- 2007 or on whatever “brand/FW” you like is posted here in last few days, 3ys old…

Man, OP saying mentioned drives “to be desired” to die in “X” years is just pure B/S.
[B]Sorry all, not that often I take word B/S in my mouth…, but in this thread this is adequate expression.[/B]

[QUOTE=weedougie;2305404]Do you smoke, how often do you clean out your machine.
Now I hardly ever open the CD/DVD drives to inspect and clean the laser or rails until there is a problem. Have you taken out the drive and checked them. This may be a cause of the symptoms you see. The time scale seems about right.
Just a thought![/QUOTE]
i clean the dust near the fans and on the bottom yearly. Never had someone suggested opening the drive itself thought … but thats an idea. Some shops here sell those cleaning discs with bristles attached to the underside of the disc.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2305433]Pure B/S. :a
My oldest MediaTEK CD burner is 14ys old (not Lite-On labeled though…), still working after 1k+ rips/burns.
My Litey My Litey LDW-401-2003 (nowdays in my GF compu) burned as a 401@411@811 almost 500 CD/DVD discs; still alive.
My SOWH-812-2004 Litey is also healthy (my son uses this drive for protected CD/DVD ripping) burned 700+ DVDs sofar.
LH-20Axx- 2007 or on whatever “brand/FW” you like is posted here in last few days, 3ys old…

Man, OP saying mentioned drives “to be desired” to die in “X” years is just pure B/S.
[B]Sorry all, not that often I take word B/S in my mouth…, but in this thread this is adequate expression.[/B][/QUOTE]
maybe you’re the exception rather than the rule?
You sound like you’re exaggerating, more reason for me to ignore whatever ‘facts’ and numbers you come up with to support your flamepost.

I have an original model T ford that still runs!! Its 50+ years old! Hence every other car is expected to live at least 50 years, anyone that says otherwise is pure bs!!!