Dvd writer blues

vbimport

hi,
my computer treats my dvd writer as a cd writer.
even though i have updated the driver by going to drv update.com, this does not solve the problem.
sometimes the drive shows up as a dvd drive but when i insert a dvd and try to access it a message pops up "no disc present ". i have tried several dvds and even reloaded nero and the software that came with the dvd burner but to no avail.
please help.
cboo

Have you tried DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink?

Model number of the DVD drive. Go into BIOS and see if it is recognized. Set the detection to AUTO. Save and exit. Go into device manager and remove the IDE channel with the DVD drive. Reboot. Windows will reload the driver. Verify that the drive is running in DMA mode.

Often, when you have multiple DVD playback software, this can cause similar problem.

yes i have tried those, message pops up that “there is no disk in dvd drive”. this is when using dvd decrypter and shrink.

it’d help alot if you told us your drive model, pc specs and what OS and what burning software your running.

will provide info in the a.m.
thanks
cboo

hi,
even though i have updated the driver by going to drv update.com, this does not solve the problem.
sometimes the drive shows up as a dvd drive but when i insert a dvd and try to access it a message pops up "no disc present ". i have tried several dvds and even reloaded nero and the software that came with the dvd burner but to no avail.
please help.
cboo

BTC + /- R/RW READ 8X 4X 40X 24X
CD-R/RW WRITE 8X 6X 40X 12X
DVRW IDE 1108 VERSION B230
I AM USING WIN XP WITH NERO OEM

hi,
please help.
cboo

BTC + /- R/RW READ 8X 4X 40X 24X
CD-R/RW WRITE 8X 6X 40X 12X
DVRW IDE 1108 VERSION B230
I AM USING WIN XP WITH NERO OEM

Have you checked in device mgr and made sure the drive is in DMA mode and not PIO???

Is this a blank disk that you are inserting or one that has been burned? If it is blank it is normal for windows to not recognise it sometimes. As long as your burning application sees the disk you are fine. Further, it is also normal for windows (in my computer) to report your dvd drive as a cd drive with certain types of dvd’s. Have you tried burning a disk to see if it works? If it does, ignore what windows shows under my computer. This seems to be confusing a lot of people latlly. I think it is the newer service packs for windows that is causing it.