DVD writer and DVD drive not being recognized by XP

I have a Sony DVD-ROM and a Lite-on SOHW-812S DVDRW in my computer, and both have been working without a hitch for the last couple months. However XP is now not recognizing these drives (They dont show up in My Computer), and when checking in my device manager, it states that “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)”.

This happened immediately after installing Roxio’s Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. I noticed during the install some ASPI drivers were installed and Im guessing that this is the root of the problem. Somehow the drivers that were installed along with Roxio conflicted with both of my DVD drive drivers. So now I’m stuck in a rut and unable to use either of my drives. I’ve tried downloading the most recent ASPI drivers but that doesnt seem to work. I’ve also checked my bios and both my drives are indeed recognized, so it must be a driver problem.

I’ve tried a number of different things, like uninstalling and letting xp reinstall the hardware, to no avail.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Did you install Take 2. If so, go to Roxio’s site and read the instructions on how to remove Take 2 from you system. It is not compatible with XP. You could also use a system restore point to go back to before the installation and then install it again without Take 2. Also install the latest update, before you reboot.

Yep listen to the King :slight_smile:

Download the latest updates (I think 5.3.X), it will guide you through removing Take2 and recognize the drives.

I found this website helpful esp. these code… guys, cheers.

I had the same problem when I upgrade MYDVD 4.5 to MYDVD5.2. It would wipe out both of my optical drives. I uninstalled the hardware through the device manager and then try to reinstall. I would get the same error that you’re recieving. I uninstalled the upgrade and reloaded the previous version. I could have solved the issue by making some changes in the registry but I chose not to.

I did the registry edit thing after I removed the sonic dla program and had similar problems. I used this link to guide me through the process, which was successful :slight_smile: