DVD Writer 100% CPU

Hi, im new, hello to all…

Basicly, i have a Optiarc AD-517OA DVD RW it uses up 100% CPU when dragging off data disk, or playing a music cd, its stutters when ever anouther program is loaded… can anyone help me? Ive read loads of ideas but still no help… here are my specs…

Motherboard : Foxconn 945g7MD
CPU : Intel Celeron D 2.8Ghz
RAM : 512 DDR-2

Thanks to anyone…

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Could be a DMA issue. Check the link in my signature to check (and enable it if the Current Transfer Mode for your Optiarc is PIO Mode). :slight_smile:

[quote=Arachne;1946165]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Could be a DMA issue. Check the link in my signature to check (and enable it if the Current Transfer Mode for your Optiarc is PIO Mode). :)[/quote]

Hi, i only have my hardrive and dvd writer, but it seems to be showing a few… also i checked them all and there al on DMA enabled…

It’s the Current Transfer Mode that’s important…go to the link in my sig, download the “resetdma.vbs” file in the first post, and run it.

If it finds a drive in PIO Mode, it’ll reset it - you may have to reboot afterwards.

Thanks Arachne, ive run the program, it came up with the message :

No resettable ATA Channels with windows drivers found, Nothing Changed.

Any help anyone pls?

Got more RAM? I think more memory will do your trick!

When not running Vista or multitasking more ram is not needed. Topic says; “100% CPU”.

… i only have my hardrive and dvd writer, but it seems to be showing a few…
That pic is only shows mobos channels, SATA and IDE, not what drives connected. :wink:

Run Nero InfoTool and post us the output, read posting guides to learn how.

The best you can do is to learn more about your compu, starting with reading mobos manual. :flower:

Hi, here is the link to the nero test… also a pic of my device manager…

Nero CD Speed Test results

General Information

Operating System Windows XP
Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A
Firmware Version 1.11
Serial Number 74G1C70E112
Disc DVD-R
Capacity 4.08 GB

Transfer Rate

Start 0.89x
End 0.91x
Average 0.91x
Type CLV

Seek Times

Random 128 ms
1/3 148 ms
Full 232 ms

CPU Usage

1X n/a
2X n/a
4X n/a
8X n/a

Interface

Burst Rate 1263 KB/sec

Spin Up/Down Times

Spin Up Time 2.67 sec
Spin Down Time 2.67 sec

Load/Eject Times

Load Time 14.38 sec
Eject Time 1.93 sec
Recognition Time 0.08 sec

Log

Time Elapsed Action
[13:15:30] Starting Transfer Rate Test
[14:13:34] 58:04 Speed:1 X CLV (0.91 X average)
[14:13:34] Starting Seek Times Test
[14:13:48] Random Seek: 128 ms
[14:14:02] 1/3 Seek: 148 ms
[14:14:26] 0:51 Full Seek: 232 ms
[14:14:26] Starting CPU Usage Test
[14:14:43] CPU usage at 1X: n/a
[14:15:16] CPU usage at 2X: n/a
[14:16:22] CPU usage at 4X: n/a
[14:18:33] 4:07 CPU usage at 8X: n/a
[14:18:33] Starting Burst Rate Test
[14:18:35] 0:03 Interface burst rate: 1 MB/sec (1263 KB/sec)
[14:18:35] Starting Spin-Up/Down Test
[14:18:41] Spin-up time: 2.67 seconds
[14:18:54] 0:19 Spin-down time: 2.67 seconds
[14:18:54] Starting Load/Eject Test
[14:18:56] Eject time: 1.93 seconds
[14:19:11] Load time: 14.38 seconds
[14:19:11] 0:17 Recognition time: 0.08 seconds

Lookslike a controller/setup problem.

Could you uninstall the ide drivers and then restart and check for DMA again??

[QUOTE=pinto2;1946762]When not running Vista or multitasking more ram is not needed. Topic says; “100% CPU”.That pic is only shows mobos channels, SATA and IDE, not what drives connected. :wink:

Run Nero InfoTool and post us the output, read posting guides to learn how.

The best you can do is to learn more about your compu, starting with reading mobos manual. :flower:[/Q

JMO considering he may have other stuff running in background, regardless more RAM would release burnden for his processor. Another saying would be, quit strangling his processor. 512MB of RAM was enough years ago even with patches to windows XP require more today. 1GB is better for the performace for what he is willing to do. Windows XP before SP2 I would say was fine with 512, but not with all the extra’s in windows XP of today.:smiley:

Xzane, in addition to what chef suggested, make sure your aged 120GB IDE HDD is well defragmented.
Also make sure you run on $ntel chipset drivers and other mobo hardware with drivers that came on CD with your mobo.
Run a full virus scan.

Disable, or even better while testing, uninstall any emulating software (alcohol, daemon tools). Make sure none of your games has “on-line” checking enabled.

BTW, what processes are up running and eating up your resources, (check in taskmanager), when you completely disconnect burner?

Think OP already proved this problem is not at all related to burner.

Thanks… i will try all of the above, will post feedback soon…

Defragmented HDD
Uninstalled Emulating Software

The CPU shoots up to 100% soon as i drag something off dvd/cd etc

[QUOTE=Xzane;1951146]Thanks… i will try all of the above, will post feedback soon…

Defragmented HDD
Uninstalled Emulating Software

The CPU shoots up to 100% soon as i drag something off dvd/cd etc[/QUOTE]

Run the task manager and see under performance tab how much RAM is avaliable for you to use. If below 100MB Physically you need more RAM.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1951226]Run the task manager and see under performance tab how much RAM is avaliable for you to use. If below 100MB Physically you need more RAM.[/QUOTE]

Right click bottom toolbar, pick Task Manager in the little window and click top performance tab and see what you have.

Physical Memory

Total: 514480
Availible: 33740
System Cache: 114716

PF Usage: 140MB

I think you need more (free) RAM.

I have 512MB of ram in my machine… you think i need more?

Availible: 33740
:confused:

[QUOTE=Xzane;1952426]I have 512MB of ram in my machine… you think i need more?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you need more RAM. Do you know the max that your computer will take? If not send me a private message and I will email you software that can read everything on your machine and what it will handle. Its freeware but kinda hard to find.