DVD+ / - : write at full speed or half speed?

This may be a dumb question … but when writing to a DVD using the 401s/411s, is it more reliable to write at 4x, or the slower speed (2.4x / 2x)? Or does it depend on media? The logical answer seems to be the slower speed, but then again the drive may be optimised for writing at 4x and therefore give better burns at that speed?

401s ES0C…
ES0g just does not work at all on 4x or 2.4x burns

i have found that 2.4x burns on all media results in working dvd+r most of the time

4x works sometimes and others it is just out the window.
its been better but still not worth the wasted dvd+r

Some discs will burn as well at 4x, others will be better at 2.4x. There’s no short answer, you gotta scan them to know which is which.

@siliconsoul

It’s your drive, not your firmware.

I did not have any problems burning 4x - not a single coaster until now :slight_smile:
In addition, I did not experience any correlation between burn quality and the firmware I used (ES0C, ES0G, FS02).

To me, it seems rather that there is a certain variance in the production concerning drive quality or drive calibration.

@schrubber

The drive is brand NEW! :slight_smile:

how can you be sure of this when a older firmware works better?

ES0C burns are good!

ES0G Burns are bad!

give me a chance to retry ES0G and ill put up some graphs… but it might be a few days as ill be busy today.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75682

just look at those new scans!

notice how ES0G burn looks so BAD!
and now nice the ES0C burns look!
and i have about 5-10 more burns/scans on ES0C that look just as good!

im not trying to make ES0G look bad! Just look at the evidence. Why should i burn with Es0G when the results all look bad or read bad in nero dvd speed or dvd info pro RPM test.

i have some from ricoh media that i can add soon

Maybe you should stay away from Ricoh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ricoh’s supplying most of the DVD+R market today, and the market is increasing as I write these lines of ascii-chars. Maybe they have to reduce quality checks in production to fulfill the increased demand in medias?

I’ve burned a couple of ricohs, too. The first was absolutely bad, the second one was hard at the limit. All the other ones were good. So it might be a variation in production quality.

Since I’ve got some Verbatims for a really good price I don’t have to use Ricoh.

A little comment on your Ricoh burns & scans on your homepage: The error rate increases with the diameter of the disc. Either this is a mechanical problem (like with my old Philips CDD3610) or this is a production issue (Pressing the disc or spin-distributing the dye). Too bad that KProbe doesn’t show others than PI/PO. Measurement of a blank disc’s groove would be fine.

verbatim datalife dvd+r are Ricoh!
the datalife plus are MMC and TY … maybe others…

its damn hard to stay away from ricoh when 95% of the dvd+r made is manufactured by ricoh!
if the packaging says manufactured in tawian they are most likely Ricoh

those burns and scans were made on my first drive.
im going to update that when i get a chance but as its the middle of the semester im pressed for time to work on it!

I meant DatalifePlus. “Normal” Datalife (without Plus) were always cheap stuff from other manufacturers - since I had made the mistake and bought the wrong Datalifes I look for the “Plus”.

I don’t say that Ricoh produces poor medias but you must consider that a firmware cannot compensate too much production variance. A firmware can basically only define an optimal write strategy for the medias if the physical parameters are somewhat constant. Of course LiteOn has to tune its firmware to match more medias and the implemented medias better - but they cannot work wonders. The 411er has absolutely no media codes of any DVD-R(W) disc inside - but I’m able to burn MCC and TY with a very good compatibility to my players & readers. And I’m able to produce high quality coasters with a lot of other DVD-R(W)s, especially the nonamers.

The production of CD-R(W) medias got better the last years cause the manufacturer of the production equipment optimized their machines so that the manufacturer of the discs must not control too much parameters. The same would be the case for DVD+/-R(W) medias - in a few years!

Until then each manufacturer has to live with a given yield for a demanded quality. If he needs to output more discs he could build some new production lines (which may take some time) or he can accept larger quality variances to increase the yield.

The german magazine c’t continously probes new discs and this shows the quality range of big manufacturers. And consider that a writer has better optics than a reader. Therefore not every disc will play in a reader as fine as in the writer.

My advise: Stay away from cheap media and stay away from Ricoh as they look like producing too much medias with a to great quality variance.