DVD wont play on DVD Player

Hi, I decided that to backup a movie that i bought.

I used DVD Decrypter to decrypt the DVD and produce .VOB files. I then made an .ISO of the files using UltraISO and I then burned it on to a Verbatim DVD+R DL Disc using the NEC 3500a DVD Burner. I also set the booktype for the DVD to DVD-ROM. The software I used for this was also DVD Decrypter

The problem is that the DVD plays fine on my PC, but it will not play on my Sony multi-region DVD player, is there anything that I’m doing wrong? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I wouldn’t prefer to waste more DVD+R DL Disc.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum. I am not sure about this one, but I would guess that the problem is the 3500. While it is a very good drive on single layer media, it is a little old and it is possible that the disc you are using has a media ID not in the NEC firmware. Check CDSpeed and get the firmware for your NEC as well as the Media ID of the software and post back.

Decrypt with DVDDecrypter in ISO Read Mode. This will give you an ISO of the entire movie and a small mds file. Load the mds file into ImgBurn (a free burning program developed by the same author as DVDDecrypter). The mds file contains the necessary information on the layer break of the dvd.

Burn your dual layer disk at no more than 4x speed using Imgburn.

Doing it this way insures correct placement of the layer break on your burned dvd.

Now, that is the best way I know of for burning dual layer dvds and an entire commercially made dvd. Doesn’t insure that your dvd player will recognize the disk. Some players are simply picky about burned disks, especially dual layer ones.

And by the way, you will probably run into some newer dvds that DVDDecrypter can’t handle on its own. You may have to use AnyDVD (not free) in the background.

Or you can get a free ripper called DVDFab HD Decrypter to get the files to the hard drive. ImgBurn can then make an ISO for you and attempt to set the layer break in the correct position.

Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Thanks. :flower:

The Media ID is MKM-001-00
The Firmware for the NEC drive is 2.1B

Thanks for the info, I’ll try it out.

Thanks for the info again, with regards to DVD Decrypter, if it couldn’t decrypt/break the encryption of some of the newer DVD’s wouldn’t it warn me or fail doing the process? When DVDDecrypter did the decryption for me there didn’t seem to be any problems. Unless you are saying that it will carry on regardless and the user would be none the wiser.

In your opinion, which is the most reliable software to use then if I wish to backup a movie that I have bought? DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD or DVDFab HD Decrypter?

Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the welcome. :flower:

If you had one of the new protection schemes on this dvd, then yes, DVDDecrypter would have failed to decrypt and rip the movie to the hard drive. So it seems you are safe with this particular movie.

DVDDecrypter hasn’t been updated in a couple of years at least, so it will fail on its own with some newer movies. Using it in conjunction with AnyDVD works very well for the most part. AnyDVD is constantly being updated, but as I said, it is not a free program. You can download the trial and use it for 21 days to see if you like it.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is also updated, just not quite as quickly. Very nice to have options when decrypting dvds, so I recommend having it around, even if you choose to buy AnyDVD.

You might also want to look into a couple of other programs. DVDShrink and DVDRebuilder. They will let you remove extras, and reduce the size of a commercially made dvd to fit onto a single layer dvdr. I use DVDShrink on movies that don’t need much compression. DVDRebuilder will reencode the movie, and produce very high quality results on movies that require more compression.

You can find DVDShrink at www.mrbass.org, and there are a number of guides there for its use. DVDRebuilder can be found here: http://www.jdobbs.com/