DVD Won't Play in Other Machine

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LVC-9016G - DVD recorder/ VCR combo. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I copied a lot of my daughter’s home videos to DVD+R. They play fine on my TV, but will not play on hers. Is the format the problem? I’m not sure of the make of her DVD player, but it is several years old. If the format is the problem, is there a way for me to copy the DVD+R’s to to DVD-R’s?

Check!

Did you finalise the disc in the recorder?

Is the dvd player you playing it in an old player?

Yes, I finalized them. And yes, the other player is an older one.

some older players will only play DVD-Rs. I had 2 like that a Toshiba and a Apex.

Can I copy the DVD+R to a DVD-R? And if so, how do I do it?

If you Nero will not do it try Imgburn, some programs are fussy.

I also have an older DVD player that wouldn’t play any recordings recorded on a LiteOn LVW-5005 regardless of media type, i.e. +R/RW and -R/RW. Then I discovered the old player would play all copies of LiteOn recording made by copying the LiteOn recordings on DVD+R/RW with book type set to DVD-ROM using a PC burner. That may be your only solution if yours is the same problem I had.

Nero 6 can easily copy such DVDs simply by creating an ISO image and then burn that image to DVD. Book type setting on the PC can be done for most burners, but the way to set book type varies depending on which burner you have.

DVD+VR is a pretty new standard so older dvd players will not support it only newer ones fully compliant with DVD+R will work. The LiteON dvd recorders record in DVD+VR format which isnt fully compatible with older players even if you set the book type correctly it will not always fix the problem as the player must support +vr

Thanks to everyone for your answers. I really appreciate all your help. Maybe the simplest answer is to just buy her a new VCR that plays the +R. Easier than trying to redo the dozen or so tapes.

It’d cost much less to make a copy to +R media with book type set to DVD-ROM to see if it fixes the problem as it did for me. My old DVD player plays no LiteOn 5005 recordings regardless of media type as stated in post #7, and it wouldn’t be surprising if this problem occurs with other LiteOn recorders. It would take 1 +R disc and only a few minutes to check to see. BTW you wouldn’t need to copy the dozen or so tapes again; you only need make copies of the DVDs using the PC burner.