DVD wont burn

vbimport

Hi
My laptops dvd-rw drive won’t burn cd or dvd’s. I used DiscInfo v1.7.0 and have found out the drive region is locked.

It reads CD’s OK.

How do i get this dvd to burn disc’s. do i need to update the firmware, if so where do i get it.

I tried the firmware updates button in DiscInfo but just get a blank page.

help please

happy new year to all
mac

Drive Info
Make: Matshita : UJ-831Da
FIRMWARE VERSION : 1.01
VENDOR SPECIFIC : 411250KME1712120920

DVD Burner Status
Drive Region Status: Lock Detected
USER CHANGES : 1
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 1

Your best bet is an external usb burner- you do not list what your laptop is so you might need pcmcia card to get usb 2.0. If you post your model and make I can tell you for sure.

Ops sorry
It’s a Sony VAIO VGN-FS18GP with 1.7ghz cpu, 768mb ram, geforce go6000 graphics, WinXP SP3

The laptop is working ok as i have done a clean install of XP Pro, the drive had the same problem before i did the reinstall.

I am pretty sure it’s the drive thats wrong as Roxio 2009 and Realplayer start to burn cd-dvd’s then say there’s an error with the dvd drive.

just a thought would it read/burn 16x dvd’s as it doesn’t seem to see them. yet it reads game cd’s ok, eg: tomb raider III

I don’t want to use a external dvd burner. if i cannot get it working i will have to buy a new dvd-rw drive.

thanks for you reply, any more ideas :slight_smile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-DW-D56A-DVD-CD-Rewritable-Drive_W0QQitemZ260337793004QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item260337793004&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

you can look here the price is right

EDIT: just saw you were in Scotland- any way look for a DW-D56a to is not to bad a laptop drive and it will do dual -layer disks (verbatim)

Thanks ~Jethro~

If i can’t get the below stuff I will just have to buy a new burner. pity because it reads cd disc’s really well.

Any idea why the drive Region is Locked. how do i unlock it. have tried it says: Drive region is set, with additional restrictions required to make a change

Also is it possible to get a Firmware update.

More Info from DISCINFO VERSION : 1.7.0 BETA.12

VENDOR : MATSHITA
MODEL : UJ-831Da
REVISION : 1.01
VENDOR SPECIFIC : 411250KME1712120920
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 1
VENDOR CHANGES : 4