DVD will not play

vbimport

I have a new dvd that will not play and says:
playback prohibited because of are limitations
what does this mean and what do I do?

Welcome to the forums marykcrawford.

Perhaps you meant “area” limitations? Commercially made dvds have regional restrictions, and if you have one that was intended for another area, it will not work in your player. Wikipedia’s entry on dvd regional codes can explain this better than I can in this thread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_codes

And you may be looking at different formats. Most countries around the world use PAL format for dvd-video. The US, Canada and a few others use NTSC. The two standards differ on resolution of the video and frame rate.

There are many options for dealing with this. You can sometimes find a hack for your stand alone player that allows it to become region free. You can also rip the dvd to the hard drive of your computer, and remove the restrictions. You’ll need dvd decryption software for that, like DVDFab or AnyDVD. Once on the hard drive you can then burn to a new, blank dvd, but depending on the size of the video you might need to compress, or use a double layer blank dvd.

Not related to the question but I knew a marykcrawford. Did you ever live in Amarillo ?

Nero Info Tool can tell you the region or regions of the DVD .
If you don’t have a version of Nero you can get the Info tool free at Nero.

Hey Cholla…sorry but I have always lived in Navasota, Texas except for two years in Birmingham, Al. thanks for the tip of Nero Info Tool…Mary K.

Kerry…thanks for the info. this DVD (movie) came from a dealer in England, so I am thinking that will make a difference. thanks again…Mary K.

Its probably region 2 and PAL format then. If you rip it to the hard drive using DVDFab, or AnyDVD you can play it on the computer using VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema very easily.

To get it to work on your stand alone player really depends on a lot of different factors, and how much work you want to put into it. Some dvd players for the US market can play PAL dvds with no issues, but most don’t.

Let me know if you want to convert it to NTSC. It is probably easiest using a program called ConvertXtoDVD, but that is not a free program, and the free trial leaves a watermark on the video. You’d still have to decrypt and rip the movie to the hard drive first, even if you wanted to try this program.

[QUOTE=marykcrawford;2661509] I have always lived in Navasota, Texas except for two years in Birmingham, Al. [/QUOTE]
OK , This one went by Kathy . It would be funny if you did too .

NeroInfoTool should tell you the region & if it is PAL or NTSC in the “Disc” tab.