? DVD Video on CD

Hi,

I’ve got a bit of a strange question; so weird it is really difficult to search on it (especially here where the minimum search term-length is 3).

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about burning a DVD format video to a CD. That is, burning the VIDEO_TS directory to a CD and playing it back as a regular (albeit really small) DVD.

Can that be done? I am in the process of trying it out right now but wanted to get some info on a few of the details. For example, should I create the disc image as a CD (CDFS-Joliet) or a DVD (UDF)? It looks like VCL will play a CD containing a DVD-format movie normally, but will most set-top players?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

[QUOTE=Synetech;1932425]Hi,

I’ve got a bit of a strange question; so weird it is really difficult to search on it (especially here where the minimum search term-length is 3).

[B]I was wondering if anyone knows anything about burning a DVD format video to a CD. That is, burning the VIDEO_TS directory to a CD and playing it back as a regular (albeit really small) DVD.[/B]

Can that be done? I am in the process of trying it out right now but wanted to get some info on a few of the details. For example, should I create the disc image as a CD (CDFS-Joliet) or a DVD (UDF)? It looks like VCL will play a CD containing a DVD-format movie normally, but will most set-top players?

Does anyone have any experience with this?[/QUOTE]

No way!
A dvd player will check the mediatype FIRST, then check for the video_ts folder with the necessary content, .ifo, .bup., vob…

You can create “MiniDVD” on CD, of course.

Well you’re right, it did not work (DVD player gave “disc-error, feature may not be supported” message).

Thanks for the tip; I figured someone had to have tried it already. :slight_smile: I looked it up using the terminology and it seems to be unreliable at best since it is not a standard.

I don’t want to waste a whole 4GB on this since it is so small. It is 33 chapters in DVD format that normally take up 1690MB, but can be compressed to as little as 638MB, because they are just interviews so quality isn’t really important.

So, what are my options? VCD? SVCD? That’s good for this right? How can I make one of those? I have a vague memory of seeing software that had that option at some point in the past.

You can use DVD2SVCD to create SVCDs. It hasn’t been updated in a while but it should still do the trick. If you have a DVD player that’s capable of playing Divx/XViD, then another option would be to encode it to one of those formats.

Hmmm, I tried that and it was not very easy to use. I also tried a bunch of other such programs, and they seem to only be able to convert a single title. I meant that the interviews that I am trying to convert are 33 titles, not chapters. (S)VCD is a single-video standard right?

So then I guess converting to AVI is my best option? (Unless there is a way to combine the 33 titles into 1…)

I don’t remember if DVD Shrink’s reauthoring mode combines multiple titles into a single title upon reauthoring. If you haven’t done so already, you can try giving that a shot.

Shrink creates separate sequentially played titles.

olyteddy is right, it does, as do CloneDVD and DVD Decrypter. I could have sworn however that I have seen something recombine them.

Anyway, I tried a few programs last night, and none of them went well. I may have to bite the bullet and rip to AVI. What is the best DVD-to-AVI converter? When doing a search for this sort of thing, Google usually just spits out a string of cookie-cutter commercial apps that all suck and are geared toward people who don’t know a title from their butts. :doh:

Check this out.

http://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=&tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=DVD+to+AVI&howtoselect=%3B&orderby=Date&listall=1&hits=25&archive=0&search=Search+or+List+Guides

Definitely go with AutoGK.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve never really liked those guides because they require too many disparate programs and are too detailed and long (I have trouble reading anything longer than a paragraph :(). I’ll take a look at AutoGK, but for now I am giving VirtualDubMPEG a shot in job-mode (actually, I’ve been using it this month to shrink whatever MPEG-format videos I can find on my drives to save space ;)).

[QUOTE=Synetech;1933395]Thanks for the tips. I’ve never really liked those guides because they require too many disparate programs and are too detailed and long (I have trouble reading anything longer than a paragraph :(). I’ll take a look at AutoGK, but for now I am giving VirtualDubMPEG a shot in job-mode (actually, I’ve been using it this month to shrink whatever MPEG-format videos I can find on my drives to save space ;)).[/QUOTE]

Seems like an awful lot of hassle though just to save a few pennies. :slight_smile:

For all the cost of blank DVDs these days you be better just burning the uncompressed version to DVD.

AutoGK is very good though and I’d also recommend it.

[B]Wombler[/B]