DVD Verification

I’m backing up all my data to DVDs, but I want to verify the DVDs to make sure it’s all good. I’ve heard about the unreliablity of Nero Data Verification and most of the stuff I burn fails it anyways. So I’m trying out Nero CD-DVD Speed and it finds errors to, but actually describes them :slight_smile: I got 4.9% damaged and 1.5% bad with the ScanDisc function. What exactly does this mean and how important is it? Is there any way to get 100% good? Thanks.

yep… data ideally should be 100% perfect, you probably are using bad media… what are you using? copy the details from cd-dvd speed

I’m guessing you don’t have a burner that supports Quality Scanning (from your use of ScanDisc)? What burner do you have?

:slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum compEngineer0. :clap:
As Arachne suggests tell us what drive you have. Also you could post your scans (even scandisc). See here. This will help us to help you.

This media is a Verbatim DVD+R 16x (don’t remember what speed i burned it at).

General Information
Drive: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A
Firmware: 1.03
Disc: DVD+R (MCC 004)
Selected speed: Maximum
PI errors
Maximum: 75
Average: 8.64
Total: 107254
PI failures
Maximum: 15
Average: 0.28
Total: 4001
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 5:09
Number of samples: 17438
Average scanning interval: 8.00 ECC
Glitches removed: 1

here is scandisc, the other was disc quality. thanks

I think NEC should scan at 5x generally.

The PIE & PIF figures aren’t horrific by any means so that should be OK.

12x is perhaps the best burn speed for MCC004.

There have been reports of some bad batches of MCC004, especially those Made In India abd available on mainland Europe. The UK ones don’t seem too bad.

NEC drives are known to be poor readers. And they scan best at 5X.

Hi :slight_smile:
Nec are not in general seen as being very good at Quality Scanning (3540 in particular). However the scandisc implies a problem with media. MCC 004 has been getting a mixed response of late. Upgrading f/w may help (1.04 the latest official version). Take a look at Liggy & Dee’s f/w. By changing your f/w you may get a better match.
Edit: I did forget, but it’s already been mentioned but scan @ 5x when using disc quality.

If your getting a scan like that you got a serious proplem somewhere in the system links. That disc is trash :iagree:

I should add: Run what ever is on the disc from start to finish 100% to know for sure.

there right, the 3540a is meant to scan at 5x I have one :slight_smile: scaning anny higher will give you bad results. rescan at 5x

ok here is the rescan at 5x with the new f/w. i didn’t get results that were very different. i’m getting ready to make a new backup for my computer and i’m gonna use the verbatim datalifeplus 8x dvd+r’s. i’m gonna try burning with my current setup and see how it goes.

i just burned and tested a new DVD, my verbatims are in the mail so i had to settle for memorex 16x’s (MMC 004) and i got 100% at 5x so i assume i’m good now. thanks for all the help!