DVD/VCR Recorder Problems, here is my story

vbimport

I have a Magnavox DVD/VCR Recorder with model number BZV420MW8 and this is my story. Last Wednesday I had to go out and wanted to record a program on the TV with a blank DVD. I set the timer for right before the program started and this ridiculous message came up saying that it couldn’t record in “+VR” mode. I tried to cancel the timer but the unit refused to let me, I tried removing the disc but the unit refused to open, I turned the power off on the unit but it refused to allow me to do anything because of the timer, I unplugged the unit but it still refused to allow me to do anything. Keep in mind the DVD disc was never recorded to at all.

Enraged, I took my fist and beat down on the unit multiple times over the side with the VCR. I am usually not violent but this unit made me boil over something fierce. I then unplugged the unit and left. Upon returning and plugging the unit back in I found that the unit now will not turn on for more than about 1 second. I find this to be strange because I have thoroughly examined the inside of the unit and cannot find anything physically wrong or out of place. The top part of the lid was bent and warped but I have since straightened it out quite a bit.

My questions are the following, I hope that someone can help:
Does anyone here know what the problem is and if I can fix the unit so that it powers on for more than 1 second again?

I have an important DVD with my recordings on it but the disc hasn’t been finalized. Assuming that I can’t get the unit to work again is it possible to finalize the disc with a recorder other than the same exact model that I started the disc on? Could I do it on the computer with a DVD burner and some special software?

Thank you for replying,
Uncas

I took my fist and beat down on the unit multiple times over the side with the VCR

Battle Shock

One of those blows probably made the cover touch something inside to short it out.

is it possible to finalize the disc with a recorder other than the same exact model

Not that I know of, but I am still new on this part of VHS to Disc units.

Wish you the best of luck

[QUOTE=bean55;2457373]Battle Shock

One of those blows probably made the cover touch something inside to short it out. [/QUOTE]

I thought of this as being a possibility. It is strange though because the unit still has power going through it in that you can get the tv signal when you connect the a/v connections and plug the unit in.

[QUOTE=bean55;2457373]
Not that I know of, but I am still new on this part of VHS to Disc units.

Wish you the best of luck[/QUOTE]

There must be a way, maybe I can try to finalize with nero or some such thing. I really would like to buy a different model player, preferably one that doesn’t have all of this crap programmed in such as copy protection and “+VR” mode restrictions.

BTW: Is $70 for a used DVD/VCR Recorder on Amazon a fair price, anyone?

Thanks,
Uncas

I thought of this as being a possibility. It is strange though because the unit still has power going through it in that you can get the tv signal when you connect the a/v connections and plug the unit in.

Electronics are funny that way.

There must be a way, maybe I can try to finalize with nero or some such thing.

I am pretty sure that I have read were others have tried and could not do it, just can’t remember the final solution.

preferably one that doesn’t have all of this crap programmed in such as copy protection and “+VR” mode restrictions.

Good luck with that

BTW: Is $70 for a used DVD/VCR Recorder on Amazon a fair price, anyone?

Seems a little high to me.