DVD Upconversion Vs. Blu-Ray

vbimport

So if my dvd player upconverts my movies into 1080, why the hell do I need blu-ray?

DVD resolution 720 x 480 (NTSC), at a maximum bitrate of around 9800kbps (including room for audio) DVD video uses mpeg2, which is not nearly as efficient as H264 or VC1 for compression. DVD-Video normally uses lesser quality audio…regular DTS, AC3, MP2 (in PAL dvds). Very rare to see LPCM uncompressed audio in dvd-video.

Blu ray on the other hand will be 1080p resolution in commercial disks, so no need for interpolation/upscaling. BD movies will have maximum bitrate that is nearly six times that of dvd-video…which translates into greater detail, more clarity, sharper images, less blockiness/artifacts due to compression. Add to that the fact that blu ray has about 8 different types of audio streams it supports, including lossless formats like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

End result, when you upconvert dvd-video you are getting a fuzzy, larger version of a highly compressed format that was lesser quality to begin with, [B]and[/B] with a generally poorer audio stream than can be had in Blu ray.

It’s like “digital zoom” versus optical zoom in cameras, you cannot put back detail that isn’t there in the first place.

Just depends, maybe cassette sounds ok to you, and DVD is such a huge upgrade from VHS.

Personally, I think the format war between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, eventually won by Blu-ray, may yet consign both to history, the true winner being plain old DVD, and the true successor being download or streaming.

My new PC build has some lovely stuff in it (Phenom II 965 BE C3), and I could have put a Blu-Ray in, but it just has DVD.

If I had a monster screen home cinema setup, then I’d be bothered.