DVD: Two English Audio tracks appear identical

vbimport

Hi all ,
I have had some DVD’s recently with two English audio tracks .
These look identical in both DVDFab & the AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 combo.
I’m using “Movie only” no menu or “Copy DVD Titles” no menu .
One is the track I want & the other has the “directors’ commentary”.
I’ve done several DVDs where this was marked but on 3 recent DVDs it isn’t .
With DVDFab I can use ‘Preview" & listen to each track to determine the correct one.
This is an extra step though .
Both tracks look as below:
DVDFab: English AC-3/5.1
CloneDVD2: English Dolby AC-3/6
Usually it is the top or first track in the list that I want but I had one DVD that I didn’t check
first & select the correct track . The "directors’ commentary" track was selected by the software.
I also had this happen on a DVD folder I had on an external HDD & played direct to my TV .
That is the way I now check my rips most of the time before burning to disc.
That way I can see how it looks on a wide screen before the burn.

I mostly just wanted to comment on this & hope the software authors might see it & correct it.
The software should have some way to identify the “directors’ commentary” track & list it that way.
This might be a new way to add a small PITA to making a copy by the movie industry.
Have any others noticed the same thing ?

Sorry for the delay in responding to this cholla but I’ve been away for a few days.

I’m not sure that that’s possible in the software as the text descriptions you normally see for each audio track describing which is which are added by the studio.

Sometimes they chose not to fill these details in and as all the tracks are the same length and potentially the same format then I don’t think it’s possible to tell which one is which without human intervention.

If they choose not to add descriptions then you’re never 100% sure as to which is which although as you’ve discovered it’s usually the first track that needs to be selected so that’s why it’s the default.

If I’m in any doubt I normally use a software player to determine which track is which as the order the tracks are listed is the same. This is sort of what you’ve been doing with Preview option but will tell you the correct track without you having to listen to them all.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi Wombler , I usually only need to listen to two .
Sometimes VLC player doesn’t have them in the correct order.
I use it because it is easy & is correct more than it isn’t .
AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 preveiw doesn’t have audio .
That is an area where DVDFab is better.

[QUOTE=cholla;2641516]Hi Wombler , I usually only need to listen to two .
Sometimes VLC player doesn’t have them in the correct order.
I use it because it is easy & is correct more than it isn’t .
AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 preveiw doesn’t have audio .
That is an area where DVDFab is better.[/QUOTE]

I use PowerDVD and alternative compression software so perhaps that’s different to DVDFab as the audio always seems to be in the same order for me.

It would be nice if it could be automated though. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]