DVD TV series to Ipod

Hello. My daughter has a IPod 30gb and would like to download a TV series on a DVD to her IPod. Is this possible if so how will she do it . Many Thanks. Terry. :slight_smile:

Hi terry44,

Sure, it’s possible. You’ll have to convert the files to a format compliant with iTunes/Ipod.
I have the same Ipod and I use retail software…all of it from Fab.
All the software is available as 30 day free trials so you won’t have to purchase anything, at least not for 30 days and then only if you decide to keep it.
There are other softwares and other members can lend their expertise with them.

This would be [B]mpeg-4[/B] or [B]h.264 [/B]iTunes compliant profiles.

1). Download or transfer the episodes of the series to your hdd.
Yes, you can do this from the disc, but it’ll be smoother from the hdd and won’t take much time.
The actual conversions will take longer and are much more of a load on her cpu

2). Open each file with DVDFab Mobile, choose Ipod for a device and then choose one of the 2 device profiles I listed above.
Then convert it. You can batch these files, but let’s not go there now.

I’d leave it on default settings for starters.
You can convert just a chapter or two as a test and view the video on her pc to see what settings she prefers.
There is also a profile called Ipod TV Out, but I’ve never been a fan of it.

This can get quite complicated, but hopefully won’t.

The tv recordings will be in DVD-VR format which, strictly speaking, is not compliant with your typical dvd, ie, it does not conform and does not contain VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and won’t play on some dvd players.

Having said this, Fab Mobile should have no problem recognizing the DVD-VR format and once it’s converted, your daughter should be all set.
Just drag and drop it into iTunes and sync her Ipod.

If you choose this method and run into trouble, post a thread over on the cdf Fab subforum and we can help you with this software.

There are other perfectly good methods to do this.
Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Oops, forgot to post a link:
http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-mobile.htm

Hi again Terry.
I just re-read your post and I think I lead you astray.
If the dvd was purchased, it’ll be structurally compliant, but will be copy protected. This means you won’t have to be concerned with DVD-VR format, but you’ll have to decrypt the dvd.

For me, this would mean running it through Fab Platinum…again retail software.
There is also DVD Fab HD decrypter
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
which is freeware, which will also decrypt the disc and create and image on your hdd.
Then just run it through the Mobile converter as above.

Sorry for the confusion…guess it’s time for another cup of java…:rolleyes:

Hello Maineman. I want to thank you very for your time to explain how to get the TV series to Ipod. we followed your advice and brought the movies back on Itune and it work great. I can’t get the smile off my daughters face. many Thanks again. Terry Horton.

[QUOTE=terry310@optusnet;2220366]Hello Maineman. I want to thank you very for your time to explain how to get the TV series to Ipod. we followed your advice and brought the movies back on Itune and it work great. I can’t get the smile off my daughters face. many Thanks again. Terry Horton.[/QUOTE]Hi Terry,
A smile on your daughter’s face is always a good thing.
Glad to hear we were able to help.

Is this the same Terry with 2 nics Tom? :doh: :bigsmile:

Will the real Terry please stand up.

Likely to be the same ‘Terry’. Why two accounts…? I don’t know. :wink: