Dvd tower

vbimport

I have a dvd tower and i believe 2-3 out of 5 are in need of replacement. Sony Nec Optiarc dvd cd rewritable drive model AD-7220A I’ve searched on line for the same type of burners and cannot find them. Could I use a different brand or model?

Depending on the type (IDE or SATA) you can use the Optiarc 7260 series. There are other brands, but my experience with the Sony drives has been very good over the years for most burning projects.

The 7220a is an IDE/PATA model. I don’t think Optiarc offered an IDE version of the 7240, 7260 or 7280 series.

You can still find refurbished 7200A drives, and they are regarded as some of the best IDE drives made in the last 5 yrs. Not dirt cheap however. Compuvest has them for $39.15 shipped. Amazon has them new, but at an insane price.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2612907]The 7220a is an IDE/PATA model. I don’t think Optiarc offered an IDE version of the 7240, 7260 or 7280 series.

You can still find refurbished 7200A drives, and they are regarded as some of the best IDE drives made in the last 5 yrs. Not dirt cheap however. Compuvest has them for $39.15 shipped. Amazon has them new, but at an insane price.[/QUOTE]

Your input has been very helpful. So I shouldn’t try any other burner? Only the 7200?

Thanks for your help I will try.

[QUOTE=exhustler70;2612940]Your input has been very helpful. So I shouldn’t try any other burner? Only the 7200?[/QUOTE]

Well, I didn’t say not to try another IDE burner, but I don’t have experience with dvd duplicators, and don’t know their limitations. I doubt you’ll have problems mixing and matching makes of burners, but I don’t [B]know[/B] that for certain. Which makes it slightly irresponsible for me to advise you to try other makes and models without some expressed caveats.

If you have access to any other IDE interface drives, I’d give one of them a try in the tower and see if you have any issues. Hands on experimentation will tell you more than I can.