DVD to Mobile (PVP) - Audio Sync Problem

vbimport

I’ve been using DVDFab for a while now, gradually converting my DVD collection to AVI format so I can watch movies on my Creative Vision W. All of my previous conversions have gone well, with little or no problems. I’ve been using the DVD to Mobile option, selecting PVP, and selecting Creative Vision W.

I have one old movie (The Inspector General, with Danny Kaye, 1949) that will not convert properly. The sound starts out in sync at the beginning of the movie, but the sound slowly falls behind the video until it is off by a couple of minutes at the end of the movie.

The DVD plays with no problems; it’s NTSC, with no region code on either the DVD or the case. I’ve tried copying the DVD to my computer, and converting from the hard drive copy, but the same thing happened. I originally had the problem with Version 4.1.2.0, so I upgraded to the Beta 5.0.1.2 with the same results.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanx in advance!

What kind of audio is the original (AC3-1, AC3-2 etc.)? If it is region-free it sounds like an import. I have had trouble with some of them (mainly from Korea) as well. As a test, try a different profile. The one for the W already uses MP3 audio, which seems to have fewer sync problems than AAC or audiocopy. If you play the AVI back on your PC does the sync problem still show up?

I don’t know what the original audio is (I don’t know how to find out, either; if you can tell me, I’ll find out). The DVD case shows “Roan Group Archival Entertainment” with a URL of www.roangroup.com; I don’t know if it is an import or not (probably is).

I tried two different profiles in DVD to Mobile --> Generic:
generic.avi.h264.audiocopy and generic.avi.xvid.mp3. Both had the exact same problem as the original. I’ve been testing the videos on my PC before transferring them to my PVP; that is where I’ve seen the sync problem.

Any other ideas? All will be appreciated.

Have you tried any of the other profiles (there is one for the W, which you should use instead of the Generic). You can determine the audio by looking on the first DVD to Mobile page, in the upper right; all the audio streams will be listed and identified by type.

are these sync pproblems fixed in v5, or still present ?

I’ve given up making generic clips with fab until all of the sync issues are properly diagnosed & fixed.

there’s no good reason why all of the profiles should not be made to work properly, as other 3rd party apps are able to get it right!

if an immediate fix is not possible then we should be given a summary of known issues/what settings to avoid by the program authors.

I think it is source or system-related. I have no problems with the rips for my Archos using my tweaked profile or the 504/604 profile in PVP. Ting has worked many hours on this. If he knew all the issues it would already be fixed. Too many uncontrolled variables.

[QUOTE=signals;2049925]I think it is source or system-related. I have no problems with the rips for my Archos using my tweaked profile or the 504/604 profile in PVP. Ting has worked many hours on this. If he knew all the issues it would already be fixed. Too many uncontrolled variables.[/QUOTE]

OK - so can you recommend a basic profile - for playback on PC as some type of video file - that has good quality video + rock solid audio-video synch please.

I want to be able to select a single chapter or a small number of specific chapters from a DVD and not have to worry about getting an out-of synch rip - which is what now happens in generic -default in 4.1.2.0 . My typical application is taking one song from a music DVD.

PS I don’t quite buy the "too many veariables " defence. From what I’ve read on this you just have to use the timestamps in the original file frames to match up the streams correctly - other apps do it ok. Also browsing back through the forum suggest this was not a problem until some time in the version 4 releases - maybe when they changed development tools ???

[quote=cybmole;2050023]OK - so can you recommend a basic profile - for playback on PC as some type of video file - that has good quality video + rock solid audio-video synch please.[/quote]Try VOB Passthrough. You could also try segregating the chapters you want into titles using Merge mode, then convert one title at a time in DVD to Mobile if you want MPEG-4. The sync goes off for me too unless the conversion starts with chapter 1 of a movie. Ting has not been able to duplicate this, not sure what other users have found.

PS I don’t quite buy the "too many veariables " defence. From what I’ve read on this you just have to use the timestamps in the original file frames to match up the streams correctly - other apps do it ok.
This is not a defense. You asked for an explanation and I gave you the best one I have. I know from your posts here that you are not naive enough to believe that every PC and DVD are the same. If it was as simple as you suggest, I say again it would already be fixed. The other apps I have tried–some free, some not-- all take 2 to 3 times as longer to process a given title than DVDFab and some of them have sync problems too. Slow processing is as unacceptable as poor sync.
Also browsing back through the forum suggest this was not a problem until some time in the version 4 releases - maybe when they changed development tools ???
Not so. It has been a problem for some users, some titles, some versions, some players off and on since DVD to Mobile was introduced in v3.

[QUOTE=signals;2050073]Try VOB Passthrough. You could also try segregating the chapters you want into titles using Merge mode, then convert one title at a time in DVD to Mobile if you want MPEG-4. The sync goes off for me too unless the conversion starts with chapter 1 of a movie. Ting has not been able to duplicate this, not sure what other users have found.

Not so. It has been a problem for some users, some titles, some versions, some players off and on since DVD to Mobile was introduced in v3.[/QUOTE]

1. thanks - that’s OK as a workaround, I sometimes do VOB passthrough then run the output through DIVX converter to go from VOB/MPEG to smaller AVI.

2. thanks again, I was wondering whether to go back & test older versions of FAB but it seems that would not be productive.

Have you tried any of the other profiles (there is one for the W, which you should use instead of the Generic). You can determine the audio by looking on the first DVD to Mobile page, in the upper right; all the audio streams will be listed and identified by type.

I normally use the Vision W profile; it has been working very well for 98% of my rips. It does glitch once in a great while (goofy aspect ratio, audio sync problem, etc.), even when none of the variables were changed. But in every other case, it worked fine if I re-ripped the DVD. I’m only having problems with this specific disc (“The Inspector General”).

The audio on the disc (there is only one track) is listed as AC-3/2. I guess this is fairly common on DVDs, as I now remember seeing it before on many of my other rips.

The disc itself plays fine, with the audio synchronized throughout the entire movie. It’s only the ripped AVI files that are out of sync.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Sorry you are having trouble. All of the symptoms you describe reinforce the suspicion I voiced in post #6 that many of these problems are source or system related. I’m sure there will be a fix at some point. Try each new version, even if there is nothing in the release notes about sync fixes (every single fix is not always listed).

Update: Tested two movies today with random single chapters selected with no sync problem.

[QUOTE=signals;2050409]Update: Tested two movies today with random single chapters selected with no sync problem.[/QUOTE]

was that with v4 or with v5 beta ? & could you possibly test the same 2 random chapters in 2 or 3 different profiles - including generic default with audio passthru

it maybe that the bug is independent of whcih profile is selected but so far there’s a lack of evidence either way.

I did not that one of my problem selections was a live song where the sreeen is dark to begin with, then the lights gradually come up. So maybe the initial lack of video data in the stream confuses the software ?

I’d be willing to do more testing if the authors request it _ I guess the next move/announcement is for them to make, as there’s nothing new in the thread that Ting started on this.

My tests were with 5.0.1.2. I will do some with different profiles today and post back. Ting told me once that he traced some sync problems to material where audio and video did not begin at the same time in the original. This was some time ago, like last summer or fall. Black screen does not necessarily mean there are no bits in the MPEG-2 video stream.

hi,

If you have a/v sync problem, please try the new beta version

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-platinum-gold-hd-decrypter-5-0-1-5-beta-244487/

and please tell me your test result.

Thanks.