DVD to mobile issues with 6.0.1.6 beta

I guess I will continue to point out these issues until they are resolved. I have been asking for one of these bugs to be fixed for over 19 months and another for over 14 months. The last time I pointed them out in a post Ting responded.

1. With DVD to Mobile – PSP true cropping (like 480x208) is only available in “psp.h264.firmware2.8+”. It is not available in any of the other presets. This has been the case at least since March 2008 (4.1.1.5 was the first version I was aware of that had this issue). It has been 14 months and I have mentioned it many times with it never being resolved. The cropping issue is a bug. You should be able to crop videos for at least 3.30+ and 2.80+. Before 4.1.1.5 true cropping was available with 3.30+. Why would anyone want to encode black bars for a 2.35:1 movie? The file sizes are bigger and it just isn’t necessary. 3.30+ handles cropped videos 480 pixels wide just fine. The PSP will handle cropped videos at least after 2.80. I have run hundreds of cropped videos in many versions of firmware after 2.80 (including 3.30 and the latest 5.50)

2. 2 pass still does not work for PSP as well. 2 pass has never worked for me consistently on longer films with the PSP presets. I started encoding for PSP with DVDFab in Nov. 2007. On shorts it works but rarely on longer films. I stop trying it because I was wasting time. It hardly ever works for regular length movies. I have mentioned this issue many times in the last 19 months and it has never been resolved. I have tried with multiple machines and multiple OSes (WinXP/Vista/Win7) with no success.

Following is problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fabCore.exe
Application Version: 1.0.2.3
Application Timestamp: 4a010ea3
Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.7100.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49eea5fe
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 0006611c
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b4a1
Additional Information 2: b4a1b0c82121b5a8c40ae419a7427994
Additional Information 3: a235
Additional Information 4: a23507b1278e4dea6a393d15940eac49

1. With DVD to Mobile – PSP and Generic clicking on “Fixed Bitrate” and changing value does nothing. If I change the fixed bitrate so that I have a bits/pixel of .125 it does not keep that fixed bitrate. The rate always stays at whatever gives it a bits/pixel rate of .15. I tested this in “psp.h264.firmware2.8+” , “psp.h264.firmware3.3+”, and “generic.mp4.h264.aac”. This is not the way DVDFab used to work. You used to be able to change the fixed bitrate when encoding for PSP.

2. With DVD to Mobile – PSP and Generic when I change the “fixed file size” to get a .125 bits/pixel it does not appear that these setting are saving either. No matter what I do the bits/pixel = .138. If I change file size until I get the .125 and click “OK” and then go back to conversion settings it it says .138. This is not the way DVDFab used to work. You used to be ab to change the fixed files size when encoding for PSP.

3. You cannot change the file name with DVD to Mobile – PSP. When you change and hit “OK” and then come back to conversion settings it is back to the “…Title1.DVDRip”.

4. With the “generic.mp4.h264.aac” preset I’m unable to change the audio format to stereo. It remains locked at 5.1 Multichannel (though I’m unsure how files are encoded).

With regard at least to item 1, the profile was set up that way on purpose, apparently to suit the demands of the PSP. If you want to try it, there is a test profile attached as a text file that I think will let it work the way you think it should. Just download it to the profiles folder and change the file suffix from txt to xml. Please post results, good or bad, so that others will know what to expect. I don’t have a PSP, but the video from this looks great on my PC with VLC.

psp.test.3.30+.txt (1.03 KB)

Thanks Signals. That works. Hopefully they will integrate into the program. Can I go and make changes to the actual 3.30+ xml?

I’m still unclear on why they would do this. Originally they let you crop properly with 3.30+. These newer firmwares handle 480 wide cropped video just fine.

Yes, you can make any changes you like with Notepad, but I would caution you to make a backup of the entire Profiles folder first and store it somewhere where the program can’t see it so that you will always be able to restore the originals. The first thing I think I would change in that profile is to remove all the useless small resolutions in the size list (unless they are not actually useless with a PSP).