DVD to mobile issues with 6.0.1.0

Here are issues I have found so far. Some of these have been around for a while:

1. With DVD to Mobile – PSP true cropping (like 480x208) is only available in “psp.h264.firmware2.8+”. It is not available in any of the other presets. This has been the case at least since March 2008 (4.1.1.5 was the first version I was aware of that had this issue). It has been 14 months and I have mentioned it many times with it never being resolved.

2. With DVD to Mobile – PSP and Generic clicking on “Fixed Bitrate” and changing value does nothing. If I change the fixed bitrate so that I have a bits/pixel of .125 it does not keep that fixed bitrate. The rate always stays at whatever gives it a bits/pixel rate of .15. I tested this in “psp.h264.firmware2.8+” , “psp.h264.firmware3.3+”, and “generic.mp4.h264.aac”.

3. With DVD to Mobile – PSP and Generic when I change the “fixed file size” to get a .125 bits/pixel it does not appear that these setting are saving either. No matter what I do the bits/pixel = .138. If I change file size until I get the .125 and click “OK” and then go back to conversion settings it it says .138.

4. You cannot change the file name with DVD to Mobile – PSP. When you change and hit “OK” and then come back to conversion settings it is back to the “…Title1.DVDRip”.

5. With the “generic.mp4.h264.aac” preset I’m unable to change the audio format to stereo. It remains locked at 5.1 Multichannel (though I’m unsure how files are encoded).

hi,

1. With DVD to Mobile – PSP true cropping (like 480x208) is only available in “psp.h264.firmware2.8+”. It is not available in any of the other presets. This has been the case at least since March 2008 (4.1.1.5 was the first version I was aware of that had this issue). It has been 14 months and I have mentioned it many times with it never being resolved.

for this problem, I think it is not the bug, because for some profile, like “psp.h264.firmware3.30+”, because this profile request output size is suitable the list in profile, like it is request 480x272, so DVDFab cannot auto change this to 480x208, I remember PSP have special size request in some certain profile and I also test this, of course, you also can try it, just delete limited=“1” in <size … > line in the profile, you can get auto crop size, but I am not sure PSP will play this file correctly.

1. With DVD to Mobile – PSP and Generic clicking on “Fixed Bitrate” and changing value does nothing. If I change the fixed bitrate so that I have a bits/pixel of .125 it does not keep that fixed bitrate. The rate always stays at whatever gives it a bits/pixel rate of .15. I tested this in “psp.h264.firmware2.8+” , “psp.h264.firmware3.3+”, and “generic.mp4.h264.aac”.

for this problem, I am not understand well. :confused:

1. With DVD to Mobile – PSP and Generic when I change the “fixed file size” to get a .125 bits/pixel it does not appear that these setting are saving either. No matter what I do the bits/pixel = .138. If I change file size until I get the .125 and click “OK” and then go back to conversion settings it it says .138.

this is because, everytime, when you set file size, we will calculate a bitrate for this value, and when you click “OK”, we will record this value, and when you click again, we using this bitrate to calculate everything, so there are maybe some not very accurate calculate, I will check this.

for the problem: 4,5

I can repeat this problem, thanks report.

Thanks for the reply Ting.

The cropping issue is a bug. You should be able to crop videos for at least 3.30+ and 2.80+. Before 4.1.1.5 true cropping was available with 3.30+. Why would anyone want to encode black bars for a 2.35:1 movie? The file sizes are bigger and it just isn’t necessary. 3.30+ handles cropped videos 480 pixels wide just fine. The PSP will handle cropped videos at least after 2.80. Why would Sony have this feature in 2.8 and take it away in 3.30? I have run hundreds of cropped videos in many versions of firmware after 2.80 (including 3.30 and the latest 5.50)

I’m not really sure why you do not understand my point about changing the bit rate. This just started happening recently (unsure on version). No matter what you change the bit rate to it will always encode at the same bit rate (which leaves you with a bits/pixel rate of .15). This is a huge deal for me. I do not want to encode at .15 bits/pixel. .12 bits/pixels looks great to me and the files sizes are significantly smaller.

Relating to the fixed file size the current way it works is not normal behavior for DVDFab. When I used to change the file size the files would come out about that size I put in there. The files sizes now are not matching that requested size.

I will post some pictures to clarify what I’m talking about.

OK, here are screen shots illustrating what I’m talking about. First DVD to mobile - PSP (2.80+). I went in and changed bit rate to 363 so that I would have a Bits/Pixel of .12:

I then click “OK” to exit and when I come back in when I click on “conversion settings” the bit rate has changed to 448 and .15 Bits/Pixels. No matter what I do the changes that I make to the bit rate do not stick:

With changing file size I changed size to 363 mb to get a bits/pixel of .12:

I then click “OK” to exit and when I come back in when I click on “conversion settings” the file size remains at 363 mb. but the bits/pixels is at .136. If I go with this setting the files are significantly bigger than 363 mb. Clearly is is going with file size to put it at .136 bits/pixels.

Finally here is a 3.30+ screen shot. As you can see the 480x208 is not offered. 480x208 works great on 2.80, 3.30, and 5.50. Cropped files work and you are maximizing on screen resolution and there is no wasted encoding:

Thanks again for replying Ting and I hope you sort this out.

flipcody
I tried but can’t duplicate the bitrate setting problem, unless you mean that every time you start the profile the initial setting produces .15 b/p. You can change the initial setting for the profile by changing one line:
[B]<encode codec=“h264” bitrate_kbps=“650” maxbitrate_kbps=“2000” >[/B]
You can leave off the maxbitrate, but it will default to 4000, making it hard to adjust.
Still not really sure if this is what you mean.

The Generic MP4 should always open at 768 kbps unless you modify it. Change the “650” in the example above to a value that gets you .12b/p (it will be close but not exact due to the different number of pixels to be encoded for different aspect ratios). I suppose you could make a different profile for 1.33, 1.778 and 2.35:1, each with a different initial bitrate so that it always opened with something very close to what you prefer.

[QUOTE=signals;2278719]flipcody
I tried but can’t duplicate the bitrate setting problem, unless you mean that every time you start the profile the initial setting produces .15 b/p. You can change the initial setting for the profile by changing one line:
[B]<encode codec=“h264” bitrate_kbps=“650” maxbitrate_kbps=“2000” >[/B]
You can leave off the maxbitrate, but it will default to 4000, making it hard to adjust.
Still not really sure if this is what you mean.

The Generic MP4 should always open at 768 kbps unless you modify it. Change the “650” in the example above to a value that gets you .12b/p (it will be close but not exact due to the different number of pixels to be encoded for different aspect ratios). I suppose you could make a different profile for 1.33, 1.778 and 2.35:1, each with a different initial bitrate so that it always opened with something very close to what you prefer.[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure why you can not duplicate it. I guess I could try on another computer… I’m really not sure what you mean by changing a line. I’m just running the program. If I change the bit rate to what I want, leave by pressing “OK” and return by clicking on “conversion settings” the settings are not how I left them. I really thought my explanation with screen shots would illustrate the problem. I’m not sure how else I would explain the issue. I can not change the bit rate to what I want to use.

The same goes for generic h264.aac. It opens the first time to 768 but when I change to 810 kbps to get .12 bits/pixels it will not keep that setting. When I leave and come back it is at 1012 kbps and .15 bits/pixel.

Thanks!

I have just confirmed that 2 pass still does not work for PSP as well. I had thought that was fixed because it worked the only time I tried it. I have since tried it twice and it always crashes when 2nd pass begins.

2 pass has never worked for me consistently on longer films with the PSP presets. I started encoding for PSP with DVDFab in Nov. 2007. On shorts it works but rarely on longer films. I stop trying it because I was wasting time. It hardly ever works for regular length movies. I have mentioned this issue many times in the last 19 months and it has never been resolved.

Following is problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fabCore.exe
Application Version: 1.0.2.3
Application Timestamp: 4a010ea3
Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.7100.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49eea5fe
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 0006611c
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b4a1
Additional Information 2: b4a1b0c82121b5a8c40ae419a7427994
Additional Information 3: a235
Additional Information 4: a23507b1278e4dea6a393d15940eac49

Most of my post was written before the screen shots came up and I understand now what you are saying. I also tried setting it, exiting conversion settings with OK, then actually making the conversion, then going back to conversion settings and it was still where I had set it. All this was with the generic h263+aac MP4 profile. I keep an 80-second DVD folder on my computer for testing like this. I’ll try it with some other changes and see if I can make it do what you are seeing. Ting may have some ideas also. Don’t give up. The key is duplicating the problem, then explaining it to Ting.

Just saw the error info on the 2-pass. That will be good information for Ting as well.

one thing i have noticed about dvd to mobile is when i convert i do it by file size. i usually set it at 700mb generic profile avi/xvid/mp3 set my audio at 128kbps set it as default for that profile, i can close dvdfab restart it and do a conversion and i’ll end up with a file 800mb or more but the settings are set as i adjusted them BUT if i drop the file size by 1 mb 700 to 699 before i start a conversion i end up with a file size around 700-705. same as your problem but i never adjust by bitrate.

I have now tried it with 3 different computers and 3 different operating systems and I always have the above bugs. The 3 operating systems I have tried are Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit (no SP), and Windows 7 RC 64 bit.

In doing these tests I have discovered that I can change the value in the file sizes and by exiting and coming back multiple times I can eventually get the size and bits/pixel down to .12. I’m unclear if I’m actually getting .12 though because the file size ends up being 30mb bigger than what I was expecting (394mb instead of 363). I have also determined that the files sizes are never close to what DVDFab says in this version either.

This is not how DVDFab worked in the past with PSP files. I just encoded a file for PSP on my XP machine with 4.1.0.2 and it was so nice. None of these issues (but a bit slower).

Signals, have you tried encoding with the PSP presets? I’m still not clear on why you are not seeing these issues. Does anyone here use DVDFab to encode files for their PSP?