DVD to Ipod problem

vbimport

Hello to all. I have been using DVDFAB and it works fabulously :slight_smile:
One problem I am having is with my favorite DVD which when I burn it and replays it goes so fast that it sounds like Mickey Mouse singing. I have burnt other dvd’s and they work fine but this one is giving me a hard time. I had burned it once before and had to delete the file form my Ipod and now I get this. Does anyone have a clue :sad:

Hi Nancy14 and welcome to cdfreaks.

First off, I’ve just entered into encoding MPEG-2 to mp4 for Ipods so I know next to nothing about it. GregRocket and signals know quite a bit…you may want to to do a search for their posts on this subject. Hopefully, they’ll pop in here to help out.

I use these settings with excellent results…you may want to give them a shot.

Thank you, I’ll try these settings and see and look at the other posts as well :slight_smile:

You’re welcome…I just hope they work for you.
Forgot to thank Cage123 for those settings…thanks Cage.

Unfortunately it didn’t work. It still runs fast :doh:

Try using Magic DVD Ripper. First 5 or 8 uses are free. Nice idiot proof conversion to Ipod

Operating under the delusional impression that I know more than he does about this, my good friend maineman asked me to read this thread and make some suggestions. First, a few questions(so that someone with real knowledge may read the replies and make a really good suggestion): the first time you converted the DVD, did it play OK? Do other DVDs still play OK in it today? Do the picture and sound stay together when this fast playing happens, i.e. a Keystone Cops effect? Have you changed the way you transfer the files to the iPod or did you transfer the problem one differently? I realize that’s more than a few questions, so enough for now. Ooops, one last question: does the problem DVD have a DTS audio track and do you think you might have selected it on the Configure screen?

-No, it just appears in a light grey box (unchecked) when I first insert the DVD, but when I go to the Ipod option it does not come up.

This is a spanish concert, I may add, but I have others that are playing good, it’s just this one that has rebelled on me :frowning:

Que lastima! There are some additional steps that will allow you to compare the bad file with the good ones and see if there are any differences, if you want to do it. It will involve downloading and installing some free software but might shed somelight on why this is happening. The program is called Yamb and there is a download link in this thread.

I changed the H264 ipod profile to accept the 5.5G specifications (1500 bitrate and two new resolutions: 640x480 and 640x360). Then I do some conversion in 2pass with 350 Mbytes file size and all episodes have 370 Mbytes (20 Mbytes oversized). It’s always occuring.

-But why is it happening with this DVD. But hey I’ll try it.

I just edited my earlier post #9 to add instructions on where to find the program. After you install it, start it and you should see a screen that looks like this (ignore the red numbers):

Click the input button and select the problem file. Information on its contents will appear in the large text window marked “Informations”. Either do a screen capture and attach it to a post or copy and paste the text from the window into a post (I believe the “Informations” button in thelower right will let you save it as a text file). Then do the same thing with one of the files that plays OK. Post back if you have any questions or have trouble getting Yamb to work (not likely).

[B]ok, here goes, THIS IS THE ONE I’M HAVING TROUBLE WITH[/B]

• Movie Info *
    Timescale 90000 - Duration 00:10:48.781
    Fragmented File no - 2 track(s)
    File Brand M4V - version 1
    Created: GMT Thu Mar 02 14:56:37 2006

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 30000 - Duration 00:10:48.781
Media Info: Language “Undetermined” - Type “vide” - Sub Type “mp4v” - 19444 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Visual Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x20
MPEG-4 Visual Size 320 x 240 - Simple Profile @ Level 1
Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 320 x 240
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 00:09:00.373
Media Info: Language “Undetermined” - Type “soun” - Sub Type “mp4a” - 25330 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Audio Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x40
MPEG-4 Audio AAC LC - 2 Channel(s) - SampleRate 48000
Synchronized on stream 1

[B]AND THIS IS ONE THAT PLAYS GREAT[/B]

Movie Info *
Timescale 90000 - Duration 01:36:49.103
Fragmented File no - 2 track(s)
File Brand M4V - version 1
Created: GMT Thu Mar 02 14:56:37 2006

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 30000 - Duration 01:36:49.103
Media Info: Language “Undetermined” - Type “vide” - Sub Type “mp4v” - 174099 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Visual Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x20
MPEG-4 Visual Size 320 x 240 - Simple Profile @ Level 1
Pixel Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Indicated track size 320 x 240
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 01:36:48.874
Media Info: Language “Undetermined” - Type “soun” - Sub Type “mp4a” - 272291 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Audio Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x40
MPEG-4 Audio AAC LC - 2 Channel(s) - SampleRate 48000
Synchronized on stream 1

Great job, Nancy! Unfortunately I don’t see anything that would indicate a problem with the file that won’t play back correctly. Is the indicated running time of ten minutes correct or should it be longer?

No the DVD is longer but I only did 3 chapters because to burn the whole dvd takes about an hour. So maybe i should just give up on this one, huh?

Haha no I never give up (but you can if it’s not that important). Have you tried playing the three chapters on the ipod to see if they behave any differently?

Just tried it, and it’s still the same mickey mouse effect, and no I will not give up trying :disagree: this is my favorite musician and I love this concert :smiley:
So let’s try everything.

OK! I always like to know the “why” of things, but sometimes we just have to settle for making them work.:slight_smile: Are all of these DVDs (the ones that work and those that don’t) from the same country? Is there any difference in their markings on the back (like “NTSC” or “PAL”, R1,R2 etc)?

Well the DVD that I’m having trouble with says the following:

• Tropical/Salsa
  • picture format: NTSC
  • multiple viewing angles: 1
  • colour mode: colour
  • region code: multi-zone
  • disc format: DVD 5
  • language: english/spanish
  • audio: dolby digital

The others don’t have the specifics as this one does

Are you making the iPod rips from the original disc or from HDD folders? Might be worth a try to use Customize/No Menus mode to rip about 3 chapters to a HDD folder, then use it as the source for another attempt at making the MP4. A pass through DVDFab might clean up or illuminate any strangeness in the original disc, which is unusual in that it has “multi-zone” for a region code and the spelling of the word “colour” is UK/European. I’ve got to hop off for a while but will check back with you in this thread later.