DVD to H.264 for new Apple TV (more details)

vbimport

As far as i understand DVD movies are NTSC 480p (720x480). Of course i would love to backup my dvd collection to 720p (1280x720) to match my TV’s native resolution but the world isn’t perfect.

I plan on converting my dvd collection to an iTunes and Apple TV Compatable format using the h.264 codec

I’ve played with DVDdecrypter and FairUse Wizard but it doesn’t seam like a great solution.

I want the highest resolution in a format compatible with iTunes, Any ideas?

Re-encoding to higher resolutions cannot make the quality better… but worse.

www.videohelp.com/dvd

Take into considerarion chef’s advice and try a player that can do a good upscalling job to the definition of your TV set instead.
This way you will not spoil quality via a new rendering and - depending on the process quality - will bring the image as close to HD as possible.

PAL DVD movies are 720x576.
NTSC DVD Movies are 720x480.

AppleTV only supports up to 720p yet.

Alright so i’m planning on getting apple tv and i’m also planning on backing up all my dvd’s to an iTunes compatable format to stream through apple. So my question is this, which apps should i use? i’ve tried handbrake, fairuse, and others. i’m just not sure of the settings. it always seams that i’m unable to get high quality from a rip. My tv is 16:9.

I know apple tv uses: “H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile”

If some one could give me a simple how-to on audio format, video codec, resolution, video/audio bitrate etc…

My goal for this is to rip a better quality movie from dvd than i can purchase from the itunes store, i’m not sure it can be done.

@MartiniPenguin: please can we continue in your first thread, rather than start a new one. I’ve added your new post to the old thread, since it contains a little more information of what you require.

Bear in mind that in going from DVD-Video to H.264, you are transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4 and thus losing a lot of information in the process. As chef has pointed out, you won’t get better than the original quality.

I’m surprised you couldn’t get good results out of FairUse, but you don’t say how large a screen you are viewing these conversions on.

[B]MartiniPenguin:[/B]

I would recommend you read some of the information available on the doom9.org forums relating to AVC/H.264 encoding. Properly encoded H.264 can be perceptually transparent (will look nearly identical to source) at generally much lower bitrate/file size. The issue with Apple is that they only support the lower profiles of the H.264 standard.

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=77