DVD to DivX

Hi All, I have a number of personal dvd’s and would like to convert them to divx. Does anyone know of any software that’ll do the job that’s easy to use for a novice.

I’d also like to point out that it’s not for copywrite stuff and is personal use only.

Many thanks

AutoGK is a free program for this and not difficult to use. I believe the default codec is xvid, but it can be set to use divx.
http://www.autogk.me.uk/

[quote=Kerry56;2216707]AutoGK is a free program for this and not difficult to use. I believe the default codec is xvid, but it can be set to use divx.
http://www.autogk.me.uk/[/quote]

Hi there, many thanks for that. Will give it a look :slight_smile: Have you heard of FairUse Wizard? Someoneelse has told me about that saying it’s simple to use but I really am a novice :confused:

I’ve used Fair Use Wizard a few times. The commercial version lets you download and use it for free unless you want output to be larger than 700mb…then you have to pay for the program.

I used the celtic-druid version which is no longer up to date. It had no restrictions on output.

The only thing about Fair Use Wizard is that you have to work straight from the disk or from a ISO of the disk. It doesn’t work from files in a Video_TS folder on the hard drive.

Quality is pretty good.

Thanks again. I have Nero on my machine and have seen people post that this does dvd - divx. Do you know if that is true?

Hmm, don’t know about Nero going to divx. I don’t think that is correct. I know you can convert to mpg4 using Nero Recode, but it is Nero Digital format, not divx, and I wouldn’t recommend it as being particularly well supported in standalone players.

Yeah that’s what I thought, as I’ve had issues playing on my standalone. Thanks you very much for the advice :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2216730]Hmm, don’t know about Nero going to divx. I don’t think that is correct. I know you can convert to mpg4 using Nero Recode, [B]but it is Nero Digital format, not divx, and I wouldn’t recommend it as being particularly well supported in standalone players.[/B][/QUOTE]
Which is kind of a shame as the output is quite good.