DVD to CDR

Is there a way through software i guess, that i can rip dvd without having a dvd-rom or dvd-rw?

Originally posted by PJ320
Is there a way through software i guess, that i can rip dvd without having a dvd-rom or dvd-rw?

That would be ultimately cool , but alas… the DVD discs are indeed in a tinier pattern than the CDROM is. So you will at least need a DVD reader to read the contents of the DVD disc :slight_smile:

They’re not that expensive anymore , for under $50 you can get a very good Toshiba M1612 or something.

Naturally the almost 5 gig containing DVD will never fit on a CD-ROM , so you will either need a lot of cd’s or downgrading quality and removing stuff such as menus , additional languages and extra’s. There is software for this , for instance DVD2SVCD which will make 3 SVCD disc of your DVD movie. The quality is excellent.

I would recommend re-encoding to SVCD. A 100min movie will fit to 2 CDR’s so check out the tutorial at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59484 it explains the whole process step by step.

If you have an older/slower computer then VCD would be the next best as its a shorter time to encode. See the tutorial section for that one.