DVD to burn on NEC 3100a

vbimport

Please help me choose the brand and the type of the DVD-R to burn on NEC 3100a
Thanks.

Richard

Do you mean an NEC 1300a?

I have a 1300a and have had good luck with Maxell 4x and 2x -R disks made in Japan, Sony -R 4x disks made in Austria, and Verbatim Datalife +R 4x disks made in Singapore.

Taiyo Yuden 4x -R disks sold under the Fuji brand in packs of ten are also reported to be very high quality. These are made in Japan.

All of that info is important when picking media by the way. Especially country of origin.

I haven’t had much luck with the ubiquitous Taiwanese disks made by Ricoh/Ritek, but haven’t tried very often with them, so I may have gotten unlucky and bought poor batches. They are sold under many brands, including TDK, Memorex, Fuji, etc.

Which firmware are you using? The latest versions will help with compatibility.

Whatever disks you get, you should check their id code. Several different programs will do this for you—I use DVDInfoPro.

This week, Office Depot is having a sale on the Maxell 4x -R disks. Buy one, get one free on spindles of 15, for $27 I think. Very good price on high quality disks. The +R disks are also on sale, but the Japanese made -R’s would be a better choice in my opinion.

Yes is NEC 1300A sorry.

Kerry,
Thanks for your advice. I just received my NEC 1300a with firmware 1.6, after installation I tested one of the DVD that you recommended as good media.
I purchased the Maxell 4x-R (made in Japan) disks form Office Depot. The NEC 1300a did not have any problems burning coy of my film at 4X
I use my home theater standalone Toshiba to played burned DVD, everything look excellent (audio and video), perfect burn.
You also advise me to check disk id code, I check this DVD with DVDIdentifier but I don’t know for what I’m looking for, this is firs time I have use burner so I do not know much about it.

I appreciate your help!

Dell Pentium III
Windows XP HomeEdition
NEC 1300a with firmware 1.6

Originally posted by srsm
[B]Thanks for your advice. I just received my NEC 1300a with firmware 1.6, after installation I tested one of the DVD that you recommended as good media.
I purchased the Maxell 4x-R (made in Japan) disks form Office Depot. The NEC 1300a did not have any problems burning coy of my film at 4X

You also advise me to check disk id code, I check this DVD with DVDIdentifier but I don’t know for what I’m looking for, this is firs time I have use burner so I do not know much about it.
[/B]

First of all, it’s wise to update your firmware to a newer version, NEC has offical versions 1.08, 1.09 and 1.0A out, but I would highly recommend the 1.08v2 edition that is unofficial -but brilliant- which you can get from www.herrie.org .
You’ll get support for more disc-brands, better quality burns, no region code and high-speed video-ripping.

Secondly, the disk id is where it’s at, I don’t think it’s useful to post a lot about that here, check the FAQs, search the forums and you’ll be a dvd-guru before you can say coaster.

Enjoy your burner mate!

Thanks for Your advice.
I have no experience with updating Firmware at all.
I would need Instructions step by step to guide me through this process
I talked with same of my friends and they told me that upgrading firmware is very risky step if something goes wrong your burner “is toasted “. I really don’t know what to do please help me.

srsm

Upgrading your firmware isn’t all that difficult, though there is a small chance for problems. If you don’t have problems in compatibility with the disks you are using, you don’t have to do it, but newer firmware will allow you to use a wider variety of disks.

Go to the site DeKoning! recommended. You’ll have to join the site to download any new firmware. If you don’t want to risk using hacked firmware, the official ones are available. The simplest ones to use are the Windows versions—which can be used within the Windows operating system. Herrie’s site has good explanations of how to flash your drive and which versions to use, so you should look through his site if you are considering upgrading the firmware.

You can compare various types of disks by the id code they carry. The media forum has a large list of disks tested and arranged by their identifying code. This will give you a clue as to which disks to avoid. You can also go to www.dvdrhelp.com and compare user results of various disks with your drive

Actually, if you are not confortable upgrading firmware and don’t have any problem with your current setup yet, DO NOT UPGRADE!! The same old “if it ain’t break, don’t fix it” should be applied here.

IF you are using good/well known media, there is nothing wrong with 1.06. However, I did upgrad mine to 1.08v2 to get booktype setting feature. But if you don’t need this, why take a chance.

there’s actually little risk in flashing the firmware for the 1300A, as the dos flasher can revive misflashed/dead drives. i’d recommend getting 1.08v2 for improved media compatibility and bitsetting.