DVD to Blu-Ray

vbimport

Hello,

Is there a way I can put 4 or so DVD’s to one Blu-Ray? It would be nice if I could sit down and just pop in the underworld and enjoy

That should be possible but presumably not that convenient.

You’ll need a Blu-ray authoring package and possibly video conversion software as well depending on the capabilities of the authoring package.

It’s not something I’m directly familiar with though and most users are content with dynamically upscaling DVDs in their standalone player.

Bear in mind also that playing the DVDs this way will be higher quality than a converted version.

It’s still technically possible though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

What are you trying to play this on? A dvd player will not recognize and play a burned blu ray disk, so you would have to have a stand alone blu ray player or blu ray drive in a computer.

DVDneXt Copy Ultimate has the ability to combine dvd movies onto a blu ray disk, but this is not a free program.

What I would like to do is be able to put 3 or 4 DVD movies on a BD-R and on a nice rainey day just kick back and enjoy without having to keep changing disc. I would be using this on a blu-ray player. Just think all 6 starwars on one BD-R/50gb disc and enjoy the marathon.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2622355]DVDneXt Copy Ultimate has the ability to combine dvd movies onto a blu ray disk, but this is not a free program.[/QUOTE]

Well spotted Kerry.

That is likely to be the easiest method. :iagree:

DVD neXt Copy Ultimate can put up to 10 DVDs on one Blu-ray disc.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Since I have a license for DVDneXt Copy Ultimate, (though rarely used), I tried to put a couple of dvds into a blu ray structure using the program. This works, but there is one major disadvantage. DVDneXt Copy Ultimate does not make a top menu where you can select one of the dvds individually. It simply starts with the first one and you have to advance manually through the dvd movies to get to the one you want.

You also do not get the original menus that were on the dvds. This means the extras are inaccessable.

Edit: One other thing of note. When you put the dvd into the blu ray compilation, make sure to use the 7.2gb Target Size, else the program will try to compress the movie.

Here is the link to the guide for DVDneXt Copy. The instructions for the Copy to Blu Ray start on page 86: http://www.dvdnextcopy.com/tutorials/DNC_Ultimate_UG.pdf

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2622370]DVDneXt Copy Ultimate does not make a top menu where you can select one of the dvds individually. It simply starts with the first one and you have to advance manually through the dvd movies to get to the one you want.

You also do not get the original menus that were on the dvds. This means the extras are inaccessable.[/QUOTE]

Ah right so you do need an authoring package then if you want to create a menu.

I’d envisaged putting the movies only onto one disc and creating a menu to access the various discs but that mightn’t be exactly what mrloren has in mind.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hmm, now that I think about it, not too sure about the original menus. I used some dvds on the hard drive and I always do main movie backups. Will have to try it with some movies straight from the disks.

But I don’t think it will make a top menu, which would be the most important thing to have.

No, working straight from the disks shows no difference in output. The blu ray movie works just fine with multiple dvd-video as input, but you have no top menu, and no original menus/extras.

Thanks for doing those tests Kerry.

That’s very useful.

[B]Wombler[/B]

MultiAVCHD should be able to do this same sort of thing, but I’ve never had much luck using it. And MultiAVCHD seems to want to convert the mpeg2 found in dvd-video over to H264. Maybe I’m just missing something in the settings for it.

MultiAVCHD is also a pain in the butt when its running, as it runs in high priority apparently and interferes with anything else you have going on.

I did manage to take the m2ts files out of the blu ray video I made using DVDneXt Copy and use them for input into MultiAVCHD. Since they were already in .m2ts format, MultiAVCHD didn’t try to convert them over to H264, and used them straight in the blu ray compilation. This allows you to make a top menu. It is an ugly menu, but functional. It is possible to adjust the titles of the videos in the menu and the color schemes, but this takes some time and effort to learn the extremely clunky interface in MultiAVCHD. I also lost chapter points and cannot advance the movie quickly.

As you may have gathered MultiAVCHD is not my favorite program. It is buggy, and has been abandoned by its author, so it takes some work to make it produce what you want.

cool thanks guy’s I will wait till some one comes out with software that just take a click or two. Maybe DVDFAB will do this on 9X

[QUOTE=mrloren;2622348]Hello,

Is there a way I can put 4 or so DVD’s to one Blu-Ray? It would be nice if I could sit down and just pop in the underworld and enjoy[/QUOTE]

Yes. It can be done. It’s not easy, but not that hard either.

You would need a ripper like DVDFab, rip each one into about a 1 or 2GB file, depending on if you’re burning them to a 4.7GB DVD or an 8.5GB DVD.

Then use ConvertXToDVD to write them to a DVD.

I’d rip each movie into a 1GB or 2GB .mp4 file as to keep as much picture quality as possible - again depending on what size DVD you’re burning them to. Use like the generic MP4/AAC container for converting to.

ConvertX will also let you design a menu.

—Have done this myself with several TV episodes (South Park and Family Guy) that I wanted on one DVD. Also did it with the Godfather Coppola Restoration. Three movies to one disc. 1.5GB each. Blu Ray rips. Won’t come out Blu Ray quality, but WILL come out DVD quality.

Note that this is assuming you want JUST the main movies on the DVD, not all the extras, etc.

[QUOTE=hogger129;2622577]Note that this is assuming you want JUST the main movies on the DVD, not all the extras, etc.[/QUOTE]

Except that mrloren is trying to put multiple DVDs onto a Blu-ray. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Note that this is assuming you want JUST the main movies on the DVD, not all the extras, etc.

And not only were we working on ways of putting the dvds on a [B]Blu ray[/B] disk, we were attempting to do so without conversion to other formats, like H264 mp4 or xvid avi files.

After a bit of experimentation, I found a free program that can do the same thing as DVDneXt Copy. It can build a blu ray movie for you from many different dvd-videos, or even other sources. It is called EasyBD Lite 1.1.

It is not as easy to use as DVDneXt Copy if you are using dvd-video as input, since it wants demuxed audio and video streams. It can accept other types of files as input, so it is not as limited as DVDneXt Copy, but the audio and video streams have to be compliant to blu ray specifications beforehand. It will not convert them or adjust them in any way. EasyBD Lite can accept .sup files as subtitles, but it is very picky about them.

I used five dvd movies as input, demuxed them with PGCDemux, and brought them into the compilation. There is an option to have each movie play, then go to the top menu, but this [B]doesn’t work at all[/B] in the free version of this program. There is NO TOP MENU. So you have to set the movies to play in sequence.

This program isn’t a great choice I’m afraid. If you have only one movie you want to put into a blu ray structure, you can use tsMuxeR, and it is simpler to work with.

And putting two or more dvd-videos back to back with no way to jump through them or select each movie is not very appealing. Chapter points are lost, so the only way to go through quickly on a stand alone player would be to fast forward.

Again, running the m2ts files out of the compilation (this time from EasyBD Lite) and using them for input into MultiAVCHD will give you the chance to make a top menu. After much work, I’ve made a decent looking menu in MultiAVCHD, and luckily, it keeps those settings.

Still haven’t found a way to get MultiAVCHD to accept mpeg2, or vob files as input to an AVCHD or Blu ray compilation directly without trying to reencode them. Even when it is set on mpeg2 Blu ray output, it still tries to reencode with HCenc. But it takes the same video in m2ts file format and quickly outputs as blu ray structure.