Dvd to avi

I am looking for a dvd to avi program. I have tried dvd2avi, dvdx, and Dr Divx and none seem to work. Can some tell me a good freeware dvd to avi program.

AutoGK, FairUseWizard, WinFF…avi.NET…But what probs are you having? details…

DVDFab Platinum is what I use!

Yeah Platinum :iagree: just didn’t mention it since all the OP asked for was freeware.
I love my Plat, just that I prefer other proggy’s for DVD to avi…whatever works,it’s all good…:slight_smile:

i’ve had WinAvi for so long …is it freeware???

SS asked" i’ve had WinAvi for so long …is it freeware???
No! it’s crapware I mean Trialware…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1958850]SS asked" i’ve had WinAvi for so long …is it freeware???
No! it’s crapware I mean Trialware…:)[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Now that’s funny:bigsmile:

:iagree:

will not finish. dr divx said a problem has occur and closes. dvdx will not start. dvd2avi said could not encode avi steam. The only one that work sometimes is freez dvd ripper, but sometimes it said it cannot find title or chapter after I decrypt it with dvd decrypter. How can I find or what is it talking about title and chapter.

well what i would recommend for going from DVD format to XviD (.avi) format is GordianKnot and it’s free and does a quality job… only side effect is you need to know a few things as it aint straight forward and easy to use but it’s not hard to use once you know what to do.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Koepi_XviD.htm (thats what i use for XviD, it’s free and dont contain any adware/spyware etc)

here’s GordianKnot… http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=77391 (get the " Gordian Knot Rip Pack" and NOT the codec pack)

a few tips… for 700MB xvid movie rips it’s recommended in general to keep the bits per pixel around 17 and for 2 cd (1400MB) rips to about 24 or so… and also when configuring the XviD codec … for 700MB movies you generally want to setup the “Quantization Type” to H.263 (softens the image) and for 1400MB movies you generally want it to MPEG (sharpens the image)

also in general i would recommend 1 CD rips (700MB) for movies that are 1hour 30min to 1hour 45min or so… for movies 2hours-ish+ i would use 1400MB to keep quality high.

also in general as far as AUDIO… for 1400MB movies i would recommend keeping the .AC3 audio track (the original dvd’s audio) in most cases… but for 700MB movies i would recommend converting audio down to 128kbps minimum and 192kbps maximum VBR MP3.

also if you choose 1400MB your probably going to have to manually split the file with a program like VirtualDub (i use the mp3 freeze version myself) to split the file to fit onto 2 cd’s… but if your burning dvd’s you aint gotta worry about this.

p.s. as mentioned above, “AutoGK” is basically the “easy” version of GordianKnot although you dont have as much controll over the options etc… so thats why i use GordianKnot myself instead… some good tutorials are on doom9.org :wink:

I found out how to create chapter with dvd decrypter now freez dvd ripper is saiding there is no title found. What is the title and how do you make a title with dvd decrypter. dvdfab is not freeware and that why Iuse dvd decrypter.

I recommend TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress. It isn’t free but I find it works extremely well.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1958850]SS asked" i’ve had WinAvi for so long …is it freeware???
No! it’s crapware I mean Trialware…:)[/QUOTE]

Hey I’m from the school of thinking…if it works…don’t screw with it…and so far it works for me and what i need…:wink:

[QUOTE=Sexy_Southerner;1959719]Hey I’m from the school of thinking…if it works…don’t screw with it…and so far it works for me and what i need…;)[/QUOTE]

Cool, whatever works right!..
Merry Christmas and Happy holidays…:wink:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1959915]Cool, whatever works right!..
Merry Christmas and Happy holidays…;)[/QUOTE]

Same TO you!! hope you have a great one!

finally got it work with autogk to make dvd to avi. it was alot easier than gk. I also finnally understood what the ifo meant how just to get the movie I needed with dvd decrypter. Thanks for the help!!!