Dvd to avi

Hello everyone
I have used the search function or at least tried, it isnt working

How do i get a DVD and store it on my hard drive as an AVI or MPG, mpeg

Any free software out there, if not what do i buy

Thanks Trevor

No idea about this but you can find many guides here in this forum or at videohelp.com

have a look at this

http://freeware.filehungry.com/english/relates/dvd_to_avi

I suppose you could rip the dvd to the hard drive normally, in dvd format (vobs) , then use Vob2Mpeg to convert to mpeg2. This process wouldn’t be as long as converting to avi.

If you need it in avi, rip normally using DVDFab Decrypter, then convert the vobs to avi using the celtic_druid version of FairUse Wizard. Found here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FairUse_Wizard
This tool will let you convert the dvd to avi using either the divx or xvid codecs.

DVD Decrypter can rip DVD to VOB, then use SUPER to convert VOB to AVI, they are both free.

auto gordian knot is a free program that will rip from dvd to avi all in one.

Ok Guys

Thanks for the help but i still have problems

I rip the dvd with DVD FAB, that then gives me an output of 5 VOB files.

Do i have to use Celtic druid to convert each individual VOB as i cant seem to select em all and that will mean i will have like 5 AVI files.

They way i have seen it before is one movie is one avi file.

Thats what Im trying to get

Also that Auto Gordian Program, when i open that I can select an input file, but once again when i go to the DVD IT has multiplr VOBS and i can only select one at a time. How do i get the whole dvd to do it.

Hi clinker42,
give the 30 days free trial of DVDFab Platinum a chance. It’s an all in one solution and every cent worth tu by it… (lifetime & faaast updates…)

Shoot, that was my fault for giving you the wrong instructions. You need an ISO. I mentioned DVDFab Decrypter since it is free and still being updated, but I normally rip with DVDDecrypter in ISO mode with AnyDVD running in the background to break the encryption.

You can make an ISO out of the vob files that you have already ripped using ImgBurn if you like. Then import into FairUse Wizard.

Use the build mode in ImgBurn and put the output to Image file. This will create the ISO you need.

Also that Auto Gordian Program, when i open that I can select an input file, but once again when i go to the DVD IT has multiplr VOBS and i can only select one at a time. How do i get the whole dvd to do it.

Select the file “VTS_01_0”. It will be an IFO file and it will open the whole thing.