DVD thinks it is a CD

The DVD in my Winbook 415, TSSTcorp TS-L532U, reads CD’s fine but comes up dumb on DVD’s. It will not read them at all.

I went through the upper filter business in the registry and it did not help. I did not find any lower filter.

I have been rummaging around trying to determine if the driver is missing. Here is what it says in the Device manager:

c:/windows/system32/drivers/cdrom.sys
c:/windows/system32/drivers/imapi.sys
c:/windows/system32/drivers/redbook.sys
c:/windows/system32/storprop.dll

As usual with any malfunctioning hardware, the Device manager says the device is working fine. It appears to me that there is no DVD driver though.

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

@ fcgiii,

Welcome to the Forum.

Explain in detail exactly what type of DVDs your Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology TS-L532U fails to “Read”. Are these DVDs Commercially Manufactured DVD Movies or are they personally recorded DVD Media disk? Also explain exactly what you mean by “Read”. Are the problematic DVDs “Recognized” by your Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology TS-L532U Drive?

If your Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology TS-L532U Drive “Recognizes” the problematic DVDs provide the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the DVD disk. To obtain the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of the DVD disk use a software utility program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or DVD Identifier (http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com).

If you believe that somehow a “Driver” is missing then in Device Manager UnInstall your Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology TS-L532U Drive and then ReBoot and let the Windows Operating System ReInstall your Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology TS-L532U Drive.

Regards,
bjkg

Well, it turns out that all three of the DVDs I have been using to test the drive are marginally bad, in that they can be read by my desktop machine but not this laptop. I found another DVD that I burned (on the desktop machine) that can be read. So this is an hardware problem of some kind.

Fred

@ fcgiii,

I believe you are possibly making an incorrect assumption but since you have failed to provide the Media MID of these suspect problematic DVDs it is difficult to know for sure.

The problem you are describing is a classic symptom of using poor quality problematic blank DVD Media when these particular suspect problematic DVD were recorded but without knowing the Media MID of these suspect DVDs it is difficult to know for sure.

Provide the Media MID of the suspect DVDs as requested in posting #2 and this mystery can be quickly solved.

Regards,
bjkg

The DVD that is causing the problem is Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003. It cannot be read by my laptop.

I downloaded DVD Identifier on my desktop machine, ran it with the Office 2003 DVD in the drive, and DVD Identifier came back with Error unsupported media. Yet I could read the disk and its contents from my Explorer.

So it appears that this DVD is marginal. I will bite the bullet and get a copy of Office 2007.