DVD task speed

vbimport

While running DVD Fab to back up to hard drive, I check Windows Task manager -> Performance. The CPU usage is very low. So I assume the limiting factor is the DVD drive’s ability to read fast enough. For example, Season 1, SG1 disk one I get a speed of around 7 M/sec and the total task time is about 22 minutes. I have about 700 disks I want to back up to a bank of hard drives and play them from there being indexed by CollectorZ movie database software.

What can I do to speed up the task? Do I need a better DVD drive, or is there a limit on the read speed from a store bought movie? Sure would be nice to speed this up.

[QUOTE=wgf_bean;2015915]While running DVD Fab to back up to hard drive, I check Windows Task manager -> Performance. The CPU usage is very low. So I assume the limiting factor is the DVD drive’s ability to read fast enough. For example, Season 1, SG1 disk one I get a speed of around 7 M/sec and the total task time is about 22 minutes. I have about 700 disks I want to back up to a bank of hard drives and play them from there being indexed by CollectorZ movie database software.

What can I do to speed up the task? Do I need a better DVD drive, or is there a limit on the read speed from a store bought movie? Sure would be nice to speed this up.[/QUOTE]

Well you could check to see if DMA is enabled in Device Manager, also what is your drive model some drives are slow readers.
You can also check your IDE Cables if they are 40 wire IDE Cables you can replace them with 80 wire IDE Cables this will help the transfer rate
:cool:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2015924]Well you could check to see if DMA is enabled in Device Manager, also what is your drive model some drives are slow readers.
You can also check your IDE Cables if they are 40 wire IDE Cables you can replace them with 80 wire IDE Cables this will help the transfer rate
:cool:[/QUOTE]

I have a SATA DVD BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S203B, so there is no IDE cable

I can’t find anywhere in device manager where you can change the DMA settings for this drive. In DVD FAB ‘Check for DMA automatically’ is enabled.

My PC is an Intel quad core Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, so cpu isn’t an issue.

[QUOTE=wgf_bean;2015946]I have a SATA DVD BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S203B, so there is no IDE cable

I can’t find anywhere in device manager where you can change the DMA settings for this drive. In DVD FAB ‘Check for DMA automatically’ is enabled.

My PC is an Intel quad core Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, so cpu isn’t an issue.[/QUOTE]

You never said you have a SATA system in you post this type of info should be given when starting a thread,…I too have a SATA system (Vista Ultimate) so I know and would not have said anything about IDE Cables if I knew this info on your system.
You can check in Computer Management to see if DMA is enabled

Yep, should have mentioned I have SATA in the original post. Also I have XP64.

In device manager I checked the IDE controller for the SATA (there’s 2 controlers on my MB). There’s no setting for DMA. The resources show some address ranges for I/O and the IRQ used. But nothigh shows a DMA channel number, etc. There’s an option for ‘use automatic settings’ which is enabled and greyed out so I can’t change it.

I think the PC is OK and configired properly. I suspect this all comes down to the DVD drive speed, and if movie discs typically have a limit on the read speed. I wonder what others that use DVD FAB have been able to attain for read speed when doing a 1 to 1 (no compression) copy to hard drive.

i agree with the slower speeds associated with original disc. when backing up original disc i typically get speeds around 5-6 MB/s but when doing an older movie or recopy of a backup i typically get speeds of 11-15 MB/s.

now i dont know why. just assumed it was normal. if you figure something out let us know.

edit// ide connections, via vt8375 mobo, athlon xp 2400+ 2 GHz, 1.5 GB samsung pc3200 ram, seagate 320 ST3320820A

The Samsung SH203B is not a fast ripper I have 3 of them in my system and I
use my Liteon 160P6S or my Liteon 20A1P crossed flashed to BenQ DW2000 to
rip with. You can also try CK’s SB03 fast burn/fast read FW and see if that will
help the S203B read any faster get it right here.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1895693-post1.html

Troy, when you recopy a copy you’ll always get faster rips I believe because you have already removed the encryption so it doesn’t have to do the extra work so it’s a faster rip. At least it does for me. ~ Mike

[QUOTE=astone2665;2016105]Troy, when you recopy a copy you’ll always get faster rips I believe because you have already removed the encryption so it doesn’t have to do the extra work so it’s a faster rip. At least it does for me. ~ Mike[/QUOTE]

Hi Mike
You are correct with the encryption statement :iagree:

[QUOTE=astone2665;2016105]Troy, when you recopy a copy you’ll always get faster rips I believe because you have already removed the encryption so it doesn’t have to do the extra work so it’s a faster rip. At least it does for me. ~ Mike[/QUOTE]

Sorry to push this old thread back up to the top but I was re-reading and still curious about the speed issue.

I don’t think the main reason for the speed up when copying a copy is because of lack of encryption. At least not for me. I say this because when I check the performance in task manager, the CPU usage is next to nothing when doing the initial copy. I only use 1:1 as I copy to my hard drive so I don’t rip to DVD. I’ve also tried an experiment where I copy a “DVD” (using DVD Fab) from one hard drive folder to another and it’s lightning fast - presumably limited mainly by the HD read and write speeds.

So I think the real speed issue (for 1:1 copy to hard drive) is some mechanism that’s preventing high speed reads from the original DVD. I don’t understand why a pressed DVD would act like this, but it’s the only explaination I can come up with.

Perhaps fengtao understands what the limiting factor is and can shed some light.