Dvd Subtitles

vbimport

I use the latest Dvd Fab and have trouble getting subtitles on the dvd. I`ve tried Main Movie and Full disc and left the subtitles ticked. When i play the movie there is no subtitles. Any ideas to put me on the right track please?:smiley:

Since you are using DVDFab, you should post in our subforum dedicated to that program. So, I’m moving your thread in there and leaving a redirect in the Newbies.

Thank You:iagree:

Full Disc gives everything that the original had and you need select subtitles during playback or the menu of the DVD.

As for main movie not sure why they not appear if you select sub titles as I usually always have them unless the movie has none to start with

[QUOTE=AGJ;2631580]Full Disc gives everything that the original had and you need select subtitles during playback or the menu of the DVD.

As for main movie not sure why they not appear if you select sub titles as I usually always have them unless the movie has none to start with[/QUOTE]Thank you. I did the full disc and left subtitles/captions ticked but no subtitles when playing back on dvd player.:smiley:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2631583]Thank you. I did the full disc and left subtitles/captions ticked but no subtitles when playing back on dvd player.:D[/QUOTE]

Do the subtitles play by default on the original?

[B]Wombler[/B]

[B]deezalboy [/B]

What is your setting in common settings-> Subpicture ?

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2631661][B]deezalboy [/B]

What is your setting in common settings-> Subpicture ?[/QUOTE]I haven`t played the original. See my attachment for subpicture settings.:smiley:

Try adding your preferred language to the right side under ‘Preselected languages’ as it is now that area is blank.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2631718]Try adding your preferred language to the right side under ‘Preselected languages’ as it is now that area is blank.

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]I did as you said with the preferred language and “English” Is in there.
How will i know which dvds will have subtitles? Will the subtitles only appear when there is other language. Also, in my attachment what do i do where subpicture is mentioned on the right side?:smiley:

[QUOTE=deezalboy;2631735]How will i know which dvds will have subtitles? Will the subtitles only appear when there is other language. Also, in my attachment what do i do where subpicture is mentioned on the right side?:D[/QUOTE]

That depends on whatever the subtitles are designed to display.

It’s relatively common for films with foreign language content to contain a subtitle stream that only displays during the foreign language portion but it’s not compulsory and some film producers deliberately add tension by purposely not revealing what is being said.

Looking at that screen dump I’d guess it’s the caption ones you’re after however the simplest way of confirming absolutely is to play the disc and see what appears for that set of subtitles.

‘Subpicture’ is just another term for a set of subtitles.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2631750]Looking at that screen dump I’d guess it’s the caption ones you’re after however the simplest way of confirming absolutely is to play the disc and see what appears for that set of subtitles. [/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly the “English - normal captions” are for subtitles with the extra descriptions like “Phone rings” or “dog barks”.

You might try this but it may auto turn on the subtitles & you will have to turn them off. When you don’t want them. I don’t use subtitles much so I’m not sure but worth a try.

You can specify your desired audio tracks and subpicture by the arrow. This “Default Arrow” can be moved to other audio/subpictures by clicking the left of the checkbox for the item. Clicking on the arrow itself turns the default off. Selecting a default subpicture will force start the subtitles on most players.

[QUOTE=cholla;2631797]If I remember correctly the “English - normal captions” are for subtitles with the extra descriptions like “Phone rings” or “dog barks”.
[/QUOTE]

Those would be more properly called ‘audio descriptive subtitles’.

Life would be a whole lot easier if they always called them what they actually are but it’s impossible to tell as they don’t name them consistently.

Sometimes it’s very clear and you see ‘English - Director’s commentary’ or ‘English - Audio descriptive’ etc indicated but it’s quite common to see them all just marked as ‘English’ with no clarification at all.

If there are forced subtitles then you can normally be fairly sure they’re for the foreign language bits but it’s so easy to check this by playing them that it’s best to confirm this if you intend on removing all the other subtitle streams rather than finding out later.

TBH though the subtitles occupy such a very small amount of space that I usually just copy all the English ones and leave the default subtitle behaviour as it is.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2631750]That depends on whatever the subtitles are designed to display.

It’s relatively common for films with foreign language content to contain a subtitle stream that only displays during the foreign language portion but it’s not compulsory and some film producers deliberately add tension by purposely not revealing what is being said.

Looking at that screen dump I’d guess it’s the caption ones you’re after however the simplest way of confirming absolutely is to play the disc and see what appears for that set of subtitles.

‘Subpicture’ is just another term for a set of subtitles.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]Thanks, but how do i organize subtitles on a copied disc?:smiley:

You don’t organize them . You just select the one you need.
I don’t know how your standalone DVD player selects subtitles but mine has no problem selecting the one I want .
That is with no menu on a movie only copy.
I even go a step beyond what Wombler does & just leave all the subtitles in the rip.
The space they use is almost nothing.

[QUOTE=cholla;2631837]You don’t organize them . You just select the one you need.
I don’t know how your standalone DVD player selects subtitles but mine has no problem selecting the one I want .
That is with no menu on a movie only copy.
I even go a step beyond what Wombler does & just leave all the subtitles in the rip.
The space they use is almost nothing.[/QUOTE]The original dvd i tried (IMMORTALS) on two standalone dvd players just starts the movie with no menu to select subtitles and there`s plenty of non English on it. Also, i selected English in common settings in Dvd fab, left subpicture ticked, main movie, played the copy but no subtitles.:rolleyes:

Almost all original DVD’s have a menu . If your standalone is starting from the movie it has to be the way you have it set . If that is possible on it.
Did you try the small blue arrow as in the image I posted ?

I checked both Magnavox & LG standalones I have. None have a setting that autostarts a movie from a commercial movie DVD without going to “Main Menu”.
So I don’t know how your standalones bypass the menu.
If you are getting a main menu the selection may not be "Subtitles " but “Languages”.
Also both brands of standalones I have can access subtitles after the movie starts through “Info” or “Display” buttons on the remote . Then I can turn on or off what I want.

[QUOTE=cholla;2631920]I checked both Magnavox & LG standalones I have. None have a setting that autostarts a movie from a commercial movie DVD without going to “Main Menu”.
So I don’t know how your standalones bypass the menu.
If you are getting a main menu the selection may not be "Subtitles " but “Languages”.
Also both brands of standalones I have can access subtitles after the movie starts through “Info” or “Display” buttons on the remote . Then I can turn on or off what I want.[/QUOTE]

Yeah a lot of them have dedicated ‘subtitle’ buttons that will cycle through any available subtitle sets. :iagree:

All my players are like that.

I’ve seen commercial DVDs in the past that jump straight to the main movie but they’re very rare. There’s usually still a menu on the disc though and you can get to that by pressing the menu button on the DVD remote.

Commercial DVDs without a menu at all are even rarer and I’ve only ever seen that once out of literally thousands of discs.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’ve found that unless you force the subtitles you want on some players, they won’t show up. This is especially true if you are using DVD_RW media.

To force the subtitle, make sure the language you want is both highlighted and the mark (>) to the left is lit -by clicking in it.

Your original screen shot did not have English highlighted or the > showing it is forced.

It should look like this: