DVD subtitles problem

vbimport

How can I turn existing subtitles on?

I have two legitimate copies of a DVD named “A Woman Called Golda” (One is from NetFlix and the other from the local library.) Both of these DVDs appear to lack subtitles. (There is no mention of subtitles anywhere in any of the menus. Nothing on the packaging. Neither DVDShrink 3.2 nor CloneDVD2 2.9.3.0 shows subtitles on either of the DVDs.)

BUT, VLC Media Player shows subtitles (on both copies of the DVD) and displays them correctly if you click on subtitles and then click on “subtitle track 1”. You can’t do this with the other software because of the lack of a subtitle option in the menus. The subtitle option in VLC Media Player is independent of the DVD menus. It looks to me as if the subtitles, although the exist, are not ‘enabled’.

Is there a way to enable (existing) subtitles by editiing an IFO file?

I haven’t done a lot with subtitles .
I don’t have a specific subtitle software to recommend.

A couple of questions :
How does VLC show the subtitles in its’ Subtitle pulldown or right click Subtitle/Sub Track ?
Meaning as for example Track 1 - (English) & so on for other languages.
Or as close caption tracks.
Or something else .
There is a software called MediaInfo :
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
If you decide to install it use the custom install.
It has some adware that you can choose not to install.
MediaInfo will give some information on the specific type subtitles .

For editing with the IFO file there is an older software IfoEdit that might be able to do that . This might depend on the type of subtitle.

Hopefully someone with more experience will post .
This will give you a start.

No matter what, you are going to have to make a new version of the DVD. Your copies seem to be authored a little bit out of spec. You might be able to enable existing subtitles with PGCEdit, but this is not a tool I use very often, so I cannot help much. You might want to look at this guide for turning on subtitle streams by default: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/2cool/subtitles/subtitles_on_default_pgcedit.htm

Personally, I’d use PGCDemux and extract the video, audio and subtitle streams. Open PGCDemux, navigate to the VTS_01_0.IFO file of your DVD. Make sure to put a check mark next to the video stream, as it doesn’t put one there by default. Set an output area on the hard drive then hit process.

Then make a new DVD using AVStoDVD. Import the video stream which will have an .m2v extension. You import in this program by using the green + symbol on the right side of the main window. Once the video is imported, right click on it in the window and you will see options to import audio and subtitles. You’ll have to do this twice to get both types of streams imported.

You can make a menu in AVStoDVD but it will be a very simple one, and won’t have controls for subtitles. Your player will have to have the ability to find and play them. But the whole reason for using PGCDemux and AVStoDVD is to reauthor the movie so that the player [B]can[/B] see the subtitles at this point.

Hmm, I just noticed that you are trying to play a rental (Netflix) and a loaner from a library. Unless you have purchased either of these, say a used copy from the library, we cannot help you make other copies from them.

I’m going to assume for now one of these is a used DVD you own.
I don’t know if Netflix sells used DVDs or if theirs’ are full function DVDs.

If you end up using the method Kerry suggested with PGCDemux & AVStoDVD .
Don’t use AVStoDVD for creating the menu.

Then use an older program named TitleWriter for creating a menu.
That is if you want a setup menu that has the subtitles listed.
The movie I verified this with had 7 subtitle languages & I had to adjust to a smaller menu Font so it would include all of them.

Of course if none of the software suggested detects subtitles .
It probably won’t work. That is why I suggested MediaInfo to see if it will show the type of subtitles.

Then use an older program named TitleWriter for creating a menu.
That is if you want a setup menu that has the subtitles listed.
The movie I verified this with had 7 subtitle languages & I had to adjust to a smaller menu Font so it would include all of them.there are many ways to make subtitle

thanks

myce