DVD stops PSU shutting down

Helllo
I Rececently purchased an external Emprex DRD +/- writer, and is connected via a USB port and everything works find.
The problem is that when I close Windows ME the PSU continues running,
I remove the USB plug and tried again and the psu shut down normally.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks Kevin :confused:

On a usb connector you have 4 pins, two for power, and two for signal. The problem is that your drive is feeding 5v down the usb cable to the mobo which won’t let the powersupply shut down. The only way I can think of to fix this is to remove the +5v line from the usb port. I think that the drive would work without the power from the mobo since it has it’s own power source. It would probably be easiest to test is if you had some of those usb connectors that use a dongle to the mobo and go in a pci slot. If the wires are separated you could just unplug the red wire to the port and see if it does the trick. If it doesn’t work I don’t know what to tell you, but good luck.

Are you sure that the red wire is live ? when unplugged it stopped the USB working, also the plug has five wires not four.

Every system I’ve seen is wired that way. It should be on the end of the connector, not in the middle. I wasn’t sure that it would work for sure anyway, but it didn’t hurt anything to try. If your ports have 5 wires that means they are grounded, that’s all. If it won’t work without the power wire I don’t think there is an easy solution.

Ok, thanks for the advice, I was just wondering if a firmware upgrade would help, I’m not quite sure what it does, I think its a piece of software?