DVD speeds

vbimport

A couple quick, embarrassing questions (DVD-R media):

1. Out of habit, I always burn things at 8x, even with 16x media. I can’t remember, but this is probably as a result of hearsay and a few bad burns. Is there no harm in stepping up to 16x for everything, even when dealing with lots of large, theoretically corruptible video files or many thousands of small files? Although I doubt it makes much practical difference.

2. This question is even stupider, but as for media described as “8x”, I know that that affects the max write speed. Does it also change the max read speed, as compared to say 16x?

Thanks.

Some better examples of 16x media can be safely burned at 12x or 16x, it really depends on how well it fits the firmware of your particular drive. We recommend Verbatim AZO 16x disks (not the Verbatim Life Series) and we also recommend Taiyo Yuden 16x and 8x media. Both are readily available online.

I tend to burn at 8x too, though I’ve found that burning MCC-004 (Verbatim 16x +R), I can increase that to 12x with no issues whatsoever in my drives.

I prefer Taiyo Yuden 8x +R, but burn it at 8x. Many people in the past would “overspeed” it to 12 or 16x, but there isn’t any compelling reason to do so in my opinion.

Nominal burning speed does not affect or inhibit reading speed. That is normally a function of the drive and its capabilities. If you have a bad burn, with a lot of writing errors stacked up, then yes, it can slow down the read.

Yo-

I agree with Kerry - however my results with Taiyo Yuden 16x +R (T03) media has not been as good/reliable as the Tayio Yuden 8x +R’s (T02).

I personally burn everything at 8x - and experience outstanding results consistantly with my Taiyo Yuden 8x +R’s and the Verbatim 16x +R’s.

Thanks guys. According to a very unofficial test I did this morning, the burn time differences between 8x and 16x aren’t huge anyway (for a DVD of about two dozen digicam movies, it was something like 8.3 and 5.7 minutes respectively, plus about 5.5 minutes in each case for verification), so for the time being I’ll stick with both 8x media and burn speeds.

[QUOTE=howanst;2582024]Thanks guys. According to a very unofficial test I did this morning, the burn time differences between 8x and 16x aren’t huge anyway (for a DVD of about two dozen digicam movies, it was something like 8.3 and 5.7 minutes respectively, plus about 5.5 minutes in each case for verification), so for the time being I’ll stick with both 8x media and burn speeds.[/QUOTE]

Yo-

You are welcome. :smiley:

Good plan IMO. :clap:

1. In my experience, burning at 8x or sometimes 6x/12x is generally a safer option than burning at 16x or faster. This is based on a lot of burning drives and some good quality media. For me it’s not worth it trying to burn faster, since the saved time isn’t worth the increased risk of a burn with reduced quality. Your mileage may vary.

2. There have been a few drive firmwares (e.g. some LiteOn drives), that reduce reading speed for media that is not certified for 16x burning. Those drives typically read 16x rated media at 16x and lower rated media at 12x. The actual burning speed used is not used to determine reading speed, however.