DVD Speed and quality

vbimport

Hello, it you was coming there is necessary to ask a small doubt that me has arisen on having read a forum, though I believe that he is not in the certain thing.
It is true that if a disc is certified to 16x, is recorded by major quality (minor PIE and PIF) if it is recorded to 16x instead of the minimal speed that leaves the tape recorder, generally 2,4x?

Thank you and a greeting
P.D. Sorry for my English, but I am Spanish.

Hello :slight_smile:

Here is a thread that you might find interesting: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/

Personally, I burn at 8x - 12x most of the time and get good results with quality media whichever burner I use.

Ola Zeyckler, tu ingles es mejor que mi español :bigsmile:LOL[QUOTE=Zeyckler;2092776]It is true that if a disc is certified to 16x, is recorded by major quality (minor PIE and PIF) if it is recorded to 16x instead of the minimal speed that leaves the tape recorder, generally 2,4x?[/quote]If the question means, as I gather, “do I have to burn at maximum speed for best quality”, the answer is no. Definitly. The opposite “do I have to burn at slowest available speed for best quality” question brings another “no” as a reply.

Best burning results with 16X media are , as Arachne mentions, at medium speeds, between @6X (where available) to @12X.

@8X usually being the most commendable burning speed with most 16X media. @12X is mostly very good if the media is good.

And for 8x media, what is the recommended speed, 4x or 2,4x?

Thanks again

As a rule, I burn 8x media at 8x, I haven’t had any problems so far using good media.

8x media is usually best burned at 4x-6x or 8x.

16x is usually best at 6x-8x or 12x.

If you have a Lite-On, Benq or Plextor burner, you can perform PIE/PIF scans (the so-called “disc quality” test of CDSpeed, which is a misnomer) of your discs burnt at different speeds: then you can decide for yourself which is the best burning speed in your burner for a given media. The lower the PIE/PIF levels, the better.

EDIT For Plextor burners, it’s not with CDSpeed but with Plextools that you can perform PIE/PIF scans. :slight_smile: