DVD Skips

Hello everyone. I know this question has been asked before and the answer always seems to be bad media. I don’t think it’s bad media though. I have tried every media I could get my hands on, including Verbatin or however you spell it. Which from other forums, I’m told is pretty good. However whenever I burn a DVD it skips in most dvd players. I have a HP DVD Writer 1040D. I’m using ConvertXtoDVD to encode. I’m thinking maybe it’s the software. I have a friend who has Vista and just uses Vista to encode and burn. His DVD’s seem to come out fine. I’m on Windows XP. Now it may be worth noting that for a while DVD’s I burnt came out very good. Right after I reformatted my computer and installed ConvertXtoDVD. However shortly after, I can’t remember if it’s when I updated the software that the dvd’s started skipping or if maybe a virus could cause something like this to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m lost as to what to do. Thanks in advance.

What burn speed are you burning at? and does the movie play on your pc fine.

4X and I haven’t watch a whole movie on my computer, but what I watch of it (parts that skip on dvd players) it works fine, but like I said, same media, different encoder / OS, it plays fine on dvd players. Don’t know what to make of it. Maybe it’s my firmware. Been trying to find information on crossflashing my 1040d. Not even sure if it’s possible.