DVD skip

vbimport

I am having trouble playing DVDs on my PC. The DVD will start up fine but while playing it will skip about 1/2 second at a time then it will play fine for another second so then skip another 1/2 second, etc. Please help!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Do you have this problem with a burned disc or with a pressed one?

What drive do you have exactly? Is the disc dirty or scratched?

I have a Sony DVD/CD rewritable drive, DRU-530A. The problem has occured with rented discs. I have played two different DVDs and both have the same problem. I has only recently done this. I have been able to play DVDs in the past (as early as 2-3 months ago). The DVDs do not appear to be dirty or scratched.

Which programs are you using to play the dvds? If you haven’t tried it yet, download VLC ( a free media player) and try playing one with it.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Lets see if we can narrow it down to a hardware or software problem. If it has the same behavior in several software players, then it is more likely a hardware problem. Cleaning the lens of the drive might help in that case.

Well, I was playing the DVDs on Windows Media Player and got the skip. I downloaded the VLC Media Player and it played fine. I then tried InterActual Player and got the skip again. Finally, I tried PowerDVD and it played fine. What would cause the two players to make it skip and the other two to play it fine?
Thank you for your help!!

Some softwares are more resources-hungry than other, and actually some softwares are more crappy than other :stuck_out_tongue:

WMP is one of the worst video playing softwares ever created in my opinion :Z

VLC and powerDVD are among the best available (latest versions of PowerDVD are a bit “heavy” however, requiring a powerful CPU and a lot of RAM, mostly if you are playing HD contents)

[quote=geno888;2034756]Some softwares are more resources-hungry than other, and actually some softwares are more crappy than other :stuck_out_tongue:

WMP is one of the worst video playing softwares ever created in my opinion :Z

VLC and powerDVD are among the best available (latest versions of PowerDVD are a bit “heavy” however, requiring a powerful CPU and a lot of RAM, mostly if you are playing HD contents)[/quote]

Geno is right. WMP is iffy @ best on my PC. Sometimes it’ll play fine, sometimes it won’t. I also use PowerDVD now (it came w/ my new LG burner) & it is pretty solid for playback of DVD’s or DVD folders on the hard drive.
:iagree: