DVD Shrink

I decrypted a movie. All went well. When I went into DVD Shrink the time for encoding read 22 to 24 hours. It used to take 22 to 35 minutes. I had a DVD Combo + RW + R, now I have a DVD +_ RW +_ R, both were made by Buslink. In other words, why is the encoding taking so long? As you can see, I am a newbie at this.

I would reboot the pc and start over. It just might be a glitch in the system. Try rebooting and see if that helps any.

I rebooted my PC like you suggested, but nothing happened, still 22 hours to encode. DVD Shrink would always encode a movie in less than 33 minutes. Now it’s taking 22 hours.
Anyones help would be greatly apprepricated.

Is it possible your system is still using the driver from the old drive. Seeing as they are both by the same company.

You could try deleteing the driver and rebooting.

your problem can have myriad causes … from DMA settings, IDE setup, jumper placement and so on. read here http://www.mrbass.org/dvdnewbie/

As a long shot, you could try bypassing anything that loads at boot. Even if you close all unnecessary programs before ripping, just loading the program can cause problems.

I wouldn’t believe my own post except that I ran into a little known bug where running Nero InfoTool anytime prior to burning would result in DVD Decrypter burning at 0.4x (no typo on the decimal point). Try holding the down shift while windows loads or booting in safe mode to test.

Probably a no go, but your massive increase in time estimate reminded me of the above experience.

I tried everything suggested. Nothing worked. What I did was erase dvd shrink from the pc. Then downloaded dvd shring 3.3.7. A window comes up stating, (unexpected formant), after dvd shrink is downloaded. Nero 6 appears. That really confused me because I don’t have any idea how encoding from Nero 6 goes. Help me with that if possible. I would appreciate it.

I just received nero 6 ultra edition. When I go into dvd shrink 3.1.7, a window appears saying unknown format and then the nero 6 screen comes up. how do I burn movies from nero 6? Need your help.

Ok, let’s see if we can figure this out. When you open shrink (before selecting any disc’s or files) a window pops up?

Have you selected the burn with Nero box in you shrink preferences? Have you tryed unchecking it.

Ok, let’s see if we can figure this out. When you open shrink (before selecting any disc’s or files) a window pops up?

Have you selected the burn with Nero box in you shrink preferences? Have you tryed unchecking it.

I don’t get to the preference when I click on dvd shrink. A window appears saying (unexpected format) and then Nero 6 opens. The dvd shrink that I have downloaded on my computer is Dvd shrink 3.1.7 and it wouldn’t work without Nero 6. I found that out when I deleted Nero 6. I even have dvd shrink 3.1 and the encoding would still take 20 to 30 hours. I have also defragmented both hard drives (c,D), but the time of encoding still hasn’t changed. What can I do?

Well, that is wierd.

I’m running 3.1.7.6 myself, that’s the last version released as far as I know.
When I open shrink it doesn’t have any idea what I want to compress or where it might be, I have to select open and point it to the disk or files on the hard drive. In my preferences (file I/0) I have burn with nero unchecked and shrink never trys to burn the files on it’s own.

Have you tryed opening shrink with no discs in the drives?

What is also weird is that when i go to open dvd shrink 3.1.7 the window that I would expect to open where you see analyse, backup, file, edit, view, etc. never appears. Right away the box stateing unexpected file format appears which is for nero 6. I can’t even close the box without nero 6 opening up.
I understand about file I/o and preference, which I can go into when I use dvd shrink 3.1. There the nero box is unchecked. My question is. How can I open dvd shrink 3.1.7.2 without the nero (unexpected file format) opening up?
By the way. When I attempted to download dvd shrink 3.1.7 after erasing nero 6 from my files, it wouldn’t download without nero 6. What’s that all about? HELP!

Well, there is a new version of DVDShrink out now.
You can download it from Doom9 http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Vobtools/dvdshrink32setup.zip

I would suggest uninstalling Nero (and removing any registry entries for nero if you feel comfortable pokeing around in the registry) and shrink and then installing shrink 3.2.

I tried everything that I know (which isn’t much) to remove Nero from the registry. Can you tell me how that is done?
Again. Thanks for the help

Uninstall Nero using the add remove programs in the control panel.

WARNING:
The following procedures will delve very deep into the soul of windows, be very careful in the registry! You can lobotomize your computer if you delete the wrong key!

Now you will want to run the program called REGEDIT, you do this by selecting the run command from the start menu and entering regedit into the box and selecting ok.

Now you want to find your way to the key (key’s are the header names in the registry tree) called HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Open the key by clicking the + symbol next to it, now there will be more key names displayed. Look for SOFTWARE and open that key (+ symbol again) follow it down to the key Ahead (the makers of Nero) and right click the key name (here we are going to select export first, just to insure you don’t lose something it may turn out later you needed) and select export, then give the file a name (it will be saved with the .reg extension in the folder your specify) and click save.

Now you can right click on the Ahead key and select delete and then confirm the delete by clicking yes. This will remove the main Nero entry. Exit from regedit and try reinstalling DVDShrink and testing it out, if it still fails there are some more keys that may be floating around in the registry.

Here things get a little more complicated; there are a number of other AheadCom and Nero entries in the registry. You will want to perform the same things as above on each of them. Here’s where I found mine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AheadCOMLibrary.AutoPlayHandlerManager
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AheadCOMLibrary.AutoPlayHandlerManager.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications
ero.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NeroMediaPlayer.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\ShowTime.exe

Remember to export each key before deleting them, if the delete causes your computer to act strangely you can return the information to the registry by double clicking the file you saved with the .reg extension. Do your test after each deletion.

How did you decrypt the movie? I have used both DVDshrink and Nero for a while now and have never encounted this problem. DVDshrink decrypts and encodes the move so you shouldn’t need to use any other programs. Have you tried a different movie?
Other than that, are there any remains of the old burner’s files? Seeing as it is of the same brand you should make sure that the new drive is “fresh”. Nero shouldn’t be starting when shrink does either so check the settings in nero as well

Hi again.
I would like to know the reason why some DVD’s will play in some DVD players, but not others.
example: I burned a DVD movie. It played well in my DVD player (panasonic, using 4x +r blanks). It wouldn’t play in a friends DVD player (RCA). But when I burned the same movie on a TDK DVD + R it played on his DVD player. Can you help me with this?
At one point, I thought that his DVD player would not read +R until it read the movie burned on the TDK blank DVD +R.

Hi again.
I would like to know the reason why some DVD’s will play in some DVD players, but not others.
example: I burned a DVD movie. It played well in my DVD player (panasonic, using 4x +r blanks). It wouldn’t play in a friends DVD player (RCA). But when I burned the same movie on a TDK DVD + R it played on his DVD player. Can you help me with this?
At one point, I thought that his DVD player would not read +R until it read the movie burned on the TDK blank DVD +R.

What’s the best DVD brand to buy to copy movies. Pacifically, the brand that will play on all DVD players.

Well, myself I have had a great deal of success with RIDATA 4X DVD-R 4.7GB Model# DRD-474-RDCB501. I can pick up a 50 stack for $25 at Newegg. I’ve copied over 200 disks that have been borrowed by friends and family (that’s why I back them up, in case someone scratches them) and viewed on many DVD players.